Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Gliding Exercises

gwennie17gwennie17 Posts: 2,957
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Can someone explain what these exercises are and how they are done? I understand the purpose of them, just wondered how they are performed.

• I would like to know also. When I was going to PT for my shoulder they would perform these. I should have asked more questions then.

• about this nerve gliding stuff and this is how they answered it, hopefully I can relay it correctly. As I understand it, the nerves are being in a since "flossed" through the body. If you can picture this example hopefully it will make a little sense.
    If you were on your back and you left your right leg straight on the ground and raised your left leg as if to do a hamstring stretch, then pumped your ankle (move foot back and forth pushing toes forwards and pulling them back) it not only stretches that muscle but also moves that nerve like a piece of floss. It glides the nerve back and forth in a gliding motion. Also from what I understood it was helpful to "desensatize" the nerve and reduce nerve pain over time as it becomes more fluid in movement.
    Another example I as given is that the nerve when inflamed looks like a normal rubberband kinda thick, but as you stretch and glide the nerves, they thin out making an easier passage through the canals they are in. If you stretch a rubber band it "thins" out. Sort of the same concept.
    Does that make sense? Im never real good at explaining these things. But I do know that it does help get the nerve moving properly and over time can reduce inflamation and over all pain for some people. Its also just a good excersise for the whole body to stretch.

I hope that helped explain it a little, like I said thats just what I understood about it and it made sense to me at the time my PT instructor explained it.
  • be careful with flossing. if it makes things worse, STOP. it's VERY VERY VERY important not to continue if it makes your nerve pain worse. it really messed with mine, and my p.t. had told me before i started to do it twice a day, unless it hurts... then don't ever do it again.
  • If it aggravates the nerve then stop doing it and be careful with the excersise. For me the gliding has worked so listen to your body as nerve gliding can have varied results. For me it works, I would ask PT more about it and if it is right for your body.