Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ear/Jaw pain

libby724llibby724 Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi I am almost 3 weeks post a 3 level ACDF. Everything had been going great but all of a sudden I have Jaw/Ear pain. I believe its actually in the jaw but if feels like it could be in my ear. Seems to get worse when I sleep and I don't beleive I clench my teeth (at least I never did before surgery).

Tha pain in not that intense that it keeps me up or anything its just more of an annoyance. I amthinking of calling the Dr on Monday but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this and this may just be some sort of "Normal" post op pain.

Thanks

advertisement

Comments

• Do you have a fever at all? Maybe it could be an ear infection. I am not familiar with the neck area as far as surgery. I wish you the best of luck and you should call your doc on Monday. If you do have a fever and it becomes bothersome, is there a walk in open on Sundays that you can go to?
  • Libby, I have not experienced anything like you describe. Time for a trip to the doc for you, me thinks.

Cath
  • Are you in a cervical collar? That might be the source of the ear/jaw pain. I had similar problems with the hard collar on at night.
  • Jjazzmom it seems to get worse at night so I think it could be the collar and maybe the way I am sleeping with it on, I did ice it today and it does feel much better. I was thinking it could be the collar because when I actually touch my jaw on the outside it is actually sore....huh??
  • Just so you know he said its more than likely from the collar so he said just take it off....and I said really and he said do you have a soft collar and I said yes he said then wear that at night. I am hoping it is easier to sleep with this thing on. He said the Miami J was probably moving my jaw and causeing me pain. I really think they gave me the wrong size it never really felt right.
  • I am new to this..just diagnosed with cervical herniated disc but have had pain for 5 years. Just recently have been having incredible jaw pain. I am not aware of clenching either. Can't find this anywhere in the things I'm reading though.

• i've got issues with the left side of my head and face. if i do my neck PT then they get worse. the pain bores into my left ear straight to my eyeball - the i get trigeminal spasms every 23 hours for 20 minutes. stopped doing PT and am waiting for a new assessment from mri's.

i couldn't find any info on the ear pain either. some kind of inflammation, i think...that's irritated by movements.

jasro
  • I feel that it is all connected to cervical problems. Your whole cervical area is connected by muscles. Your jaw uses some of these muscle. If your muscles are tight they are going to pull on other muscles.

Use a mouth guard at night. It does relieve some tension and pain. You can get one from your dentist or the grocery store. They sell them in the tooth paste isle.
advertisement