Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Limited surgical option time frame??? +small rant =)

TiffanyTerrorTTiffanyTerror Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hey everyone,

So I posted (ranted ;) ) a few months back about the ortho I saw who was a complete idiot. A short recap: he never examined me, he compared my 3 year old MRI to an x-ray he had taken, he told me to give weight watchers a year (im a max of 50lbs overweight) and to do "posture training", and that I didnt NEED a new MRI since he had just done an xray and my problems hadnt changed in 3 years and were "no big deal" because he had seen worse in his older patients. ~X(

So since then I got a new MRI, there WERE changes including nerve impingement, discogenic endplate issues, as well as new minimal bulging at the rest of my Lumbar levels. Ive been doing PT, where my therapist has to spend most of our session trying to get my pelvis straight.

A doctor friend of mine who viewed my films for me mentioned that i have vertebral edema which as i understand is from the discogenic changes to my endplates.

So I went back to th practice i saw the original doctor at and saw the doctor i should have seen in the first place. He came in with the attitude that he had already read the other drs report and seen the xray and nothing had changed. MIND you...he actually had to take my disc of films from me to put them in the system because he didnt have them. :W

I pointed out in the report the new levels that are minimally bulged. He blew it off as saying its a matter of opinion. What is a bulge to some people isnt a bulge to others.....he never viewed the actual films to tell me if he thought it was a bulge or not. Idiot. So he also told me to lose weight, continue PT, get orthodics to help with the pelvis issue. He was ready to have me leave the room when I asked him about the surgical options i was given 5 years ago: fusion or replacement. He said both were still options but that he wouldnt advise either necessarily. I asked about how a replacement would work with the endplate degeneration that i have. He was clearly taken aback by my "knowledge" of how these things work. He said that yes, they could still DO one but that if I wanted a replacement I have a limited time window to do it before it degenerates any further and it is no longer an option. ~X( Why no one has thought it important to tell me this before I dont know. I asked him if it would continue to degenerate after the replacement...? He said no because the soft thing in between would be removed? That made no sense to me whatsoever. He said he would do a fusion if he were me since replacements are still too new

Anyways..this is long and i apologize I am just so incredibly fed up with misinformation and disrepectful arrogant doctors.

Has anyone else had a disc replacement with endplate changes?

Does anyone know how endplates work, or how they factor in surgically?

I would appreciate ANY help on this because Im seriously on the verge of ripping my hair out.

Thanks guys.

• I went through two years of nobody being able to figure out what was wrong with me. iT gets frustrating, but I think you need to find a new Dr. You dont have any faith in the one you have seen. I think that you should never be blown off when you are in pain. Get a referral to someone else and see what can be done. I went through 7 Drs before I found one that I felt confident in. And I have total faith in him that he is doing everything in my best intrest. Good Luck and keep on looking...
This discussion has been closed.