Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Facet, Degeneration, Rupture and Pain Medication

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
Good afternoon. It's Super Bowl Sunday, I'm lying in bed with a growing amount of pain because I have run out of meds and I have 13 days left for refill. Anyway, I've had back pain for 14 years, but started diagnosis in 2002 and worsening in '08, started treatement. Now days, I have degeneration in two lumbars and two completed dead ones. The two former leak and the compression is giving me this Facet thing. I've had two blocks and I 'think' it worked. I have two main questions I would like to ask about the facet world and Narcotics.

1. I think the blocks worked. Usually, I have to lie flat on my back or sit up, I cannot sit up in bed - the pain is too severe even on meds. The block allowed me to sit up in bed, legs stretched out with noticably less pain. Now, my question - any adverse effects from the facet burn procedure (from my understanding, shortening the nerves)? In other words, if my main pain is not coming from the facet area and I go forward with the procedure, will I be worse off? In the scenario; if someone who didnt have back pain and went through the procedure, would they be worse off (just imagine this scenario for purpose)?

2. I take Norco 10/325 because this has the least amount to Tylenol, therefore I can take more if necessary than Vicodin ES 7.5/750. My Doc told me I cannot take more than 4 a day because it'll damage my liver. I know other people who take many times more than this each day. I'm 6'6" 280lbs - is Narco weight specific? Can I take more than 4 a day? Can I combine Narco with something else? I cannot take tramadol because of anti-anxiety (Lexapro). Do narcotics such as Oxy last longer effectively taking less during the day?

I know you're replies will be personal, not professional, but I'd appreciate personal accounts as much as I can get. A lot of people have pain, but no one in my circle does. Have no one to relate or get info from.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi rcrummel,
    Welcome to the forums! There's lots of good people here. Lots of good info.

With Tylenol, we can't take more than 4 grams a day (4000mg). That could cause liver damage, regardless of size. Since the narcotics work on the brain, I believe this dosage is also regardless of size.

They had me taking up to 6 Norco a day.
    1 Norco 10/325 = 10mg Hydrocodone / 325mg Tylenol
    6 Norco 10/325 = 60mg Hydrocodone / 1950mg Tylenol a day
    Tylenol causes liver damage above 4000mg a day.

So, on 6 Norco, I was well within range. Didn't have to worry about Tylenol damaging the liver. Although there were time that I felt "toxic", so to speak. And I suspect it was the Tylenol.

Due to pain, they increased my meds. They won't prescribe more than 6 Norco/day. I was switched over to Percocet. Apparently, that's the point where the benefits of each overlap. I think oxycodone lasts longer than hydrocodone.

If you have to go 13 days without meds, and if you needed more than the prescribed dose to manage the pain, it might be possible that you need to be on something stronger. This is tricky, because the docs get jumpy if we're asking for more narcotics. I have gotten the most appropriate response by going to a Pain Management clinic. Hopefully, you have a good repoire with your docs. Your docs may also worry about you becoming dependent on the narcs, and they may feel they're looking out for your best interest by keeping you at this dose.

My Pain Management doc knows what to look for in someone that is abusing. And I get drug tested, they bait me with trick questions now and then. But I'm legit. And they felt it was appropriate to increase to something stronger.

Good luck. Hope you find some relief.
  • I had teo level fusion. and for the last two years have been seeing a pain Dr. I started with hydrocodone, then went to Oxycodone and oxycotin. The oxycotin made me tired, so they discontinued and then they added fentyl patches. The oxycodone lasts 4 hours for me. I dont take meds with tylenol in them, that is why I dont take percocet. Talk to your Dr about meds without tylenol if you are concerned about it. Also, with each med you take your body can get to a point where it doesnt work as well. Try to be careful and use the least amount of narcotics you can. I have had pain for so long, and with the drugs I am on, it was hard to control my pain after surgery. they had to use a combination of dilodid, oxycodone and fentyl patches. The least amount you can use the better. I know I have a long road ahead of me to get off these drugs slowly. Although I dont wish anyone to suffer either. Good Luck and I hope you can understand this.
  • There's a good treatment out there for facet, degeneration and ruptured discs. It's called VAX-D. It's not chiropractic, it's not traction, and there's no surgery involved.

If you want more info, try googling "VAX-D Chicago." It's FDA approved, but only offered at a select number of places. I've found the website for American Back Center in Chicago to be really informative.

Good luck! Too many painkillers may be dangerous!
  • Hi RC, I can take 6 10/325 mg Norco's a day along with the Fentanyl 75 patch. I've been on Norco ever since I first herniated L4-5 and L5-S1 3 years ago. I also take other meds to control the pain (see below). I've been through 2 surgeries and ESI injections but the pain never goes away. Is your surgeon prescribing the Norco or do you go to pain mgt? Many doctors are conservative with their narcotic dosing and are afraid to have you on too much medication. I don't think Norco is weight specific.

Maybe you can talk to your doctor and let him know that you're having a lot of pain so that he may adjust the dosage or switch you to a long acting medication. It supplies a steady dose of medication so that the pain is controlled better. A lot of PCP's won't prescribe this type of meds and they'll refer you to a pain clinic. I hope this works out for you so that you don't go without meds til the next refill. Take care
This discussion has been closed.