Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 2 years post-op ACDF C4-5

PatriciaPPatricia Posts: 154
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Good News
I haven't been here for a couple months now and I guess you could say my life is pretty much back to normal. So for anyone looking for a succes story, here I am. For those of you who know me(I've been around here since 2006), you know that my recovery wasn't easy. It's been a long road that required a lot of dedication and patience.

This is what I can do now that I couldn't do 2 years ago....
Work too many hours at work L) ,
Do all my own housework :( ,
Sleep at night without pain =D> ,
Sit at a computer for too long,
Look down at the work my desk for extended periods without neck pain and shoulder pain,
Hold my left arm in the air, over my head without my thumb going numb,
Walk without feeling like a bobble-head,
Carry multiple bags of groceries at one time...and without having to take a nap before getting all of it put away,
Keep up with the rest of those "normal people" in my exercise classes,
Yoga & pilates exercises with balance...yeah...had to re-learn how to balance,
Lay on my side with my arm stretched up and not have pain in my neck (another exercise thingy),
Ride in our boat.....at 100mph B) ,
Slouch on the couch without pain or numbness,
Turn my head to the side, up, down and move my head around during a conversation like any other normal person,
Ride my bike without shoulder & neck pain,
Drive to work without shoulder, neck or back pain,
Dance all night without pain,
Sit through an entire movie at the theatre,
Cuddle next to my husband at night without neck pain,

I'm sure I could keep going the longer I sit here, but its just an example how much better I am. I still have some issues and don't expect to ever be 100%, but I still keep trying.....what the heck I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Keep the thread going.....what can you do now that you couldn't do before surgery?

• I really need to hear that tonight. I am sooo looking forward to the day when I can get back on a horse or crochet a blanket. Or just sit without pain. You have really inspired me tonight to push through the pain because I know this will NOT last forever. It's always so uplifting to hear stories like yours. I wish more people who are like you would post more. But again thank you for taking the time to share. We need that around here.
  • That's great news! I'm very happy for you. It's good to hear positive news and to give us hope if we have to have surgery. I haven't had spinal surgery yet but I've had shoulder surgery and am totally free of pain in that shoulder now. And can brush my hair with that arm when I couldn't do it for a couple of years. Take care of you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm only ten months out but there are things that i can do now that i couldn't do before my surgery.Like swinging on the swings with my daughter,walking for an hour at a time without my cane,i can take an hour car ride without having to stop to go to the washroom every twenty min. That was a pain.LOL. Hmm i'm sure there will be lots more things by the time i'm totally healed.
  • I am so happy for you! I remember how worried you were about riding in your boat. 100 mph--how thrilling...

I still have a long ways to go, but I am happy to report that I can hold my arm DOWN without pain, for the most part. Interesting how symptoms can be so different patient to patient yet still be coming from the same cause. Mine left arm was so bad that I had to hold it over my head to relieve some of the pre-surgery throbbing/burning. I remember taking a class just prior to my surgery and having to explain to the instructor that I was not raising my hand to ask a question. I sat on the very back row but people still stared at me. I'll never forget that class!!!!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi Cindy,

My brother used to do exactly the same thing to relieve his pre-surgery pain.

Anyway...as long as you're seeing progress, that's the important part. How are your legs?

Hey Tam,

Swings with your kids are soooo important. The car rides will get better. This has been a slow one for me but it does get better.

tonya & charry,

Glad I could give you a bit of inspiration. Some of us don't heal lightening fast because our injuries were just too bad, so we need to have a LOT of patience. You can always send me a message if you have questions. I'm not in here much anymore, but you can send me an email .... beancounter228@hotmail.com

Take care!