Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anybody ever have a SPECT-CT for diagnosis of low back pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi all. I had a L4-S1 ALIF with BAK cages in 2001, complicated by non-union. Had revision with posterior hardware (rods and screws) in 2004. Did well after that for 3 years, then developed a new back pain after working increased hours. Concerned about a stress fracture, one of my doctors ordered a SPECT-CT, which showed increased uptake around one of my screws. All other studies - CT, MRI - have been normal.

Anybody ever have this test done, and did it show things that were not seen on other scans?

Thanks in advance.

• Is that the CT scan with the injection first? I think, as with a bone scan done with the injection, it shows more areas of inflammation because that is where the chemical tends to migrate to. When I had my bone scan done several years ago with the injection, I had increased uptake in my SI joints, shoulders and knees, which is where my pain was at the time. The CT would probably be much more focused on one area.

Hopefully that helps you, though I didn't really answer your question, did I?!

• Yes, Tracy, it's the one where they inject you with radioactive stuff prior to doing the scan. In this particular case, they did a CT at the same time, and then overlaid the SPECT image on top of the CT image in order to get a better idea of exactly where the my bones were lighting up. It's a cool technique, but most of my doctors don't seem to have heard of it :(
  • i had a spect / cd scan done a couple months ago.. to rule out any other problems with my back before doing a 2 level surgery on me... they decided on a xlif.. which i will have next month... the die shows hot spots... can show much more detail than any other scans they do.

i was told most doctors use this last because of the expense of the scan..... other than not being able to move for a very long time... and that sucks on low back problem people... the test is relatively easy....
This discussion has been closed.