Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

massive headaches

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
well people for the last week i've had massive headaches day and night.I know its coming from my neck and shoulders,i missed therapy on monday because i kept throwing up,and have been taking gravols since so i don't get sick anymore.Unfortunately because i had the car accident so soon after my surgery my therapist can't do a lot with my neck right now.i'm doing heat,tens, mild stretches,ultra sound and every two weeks i have a massage,i also try and get into the hot tub whenever possible and try to have hot baths a couple times a day to loosen things up.I'm taking narcotics and muscle relaxants to calm everything down,but i still feel like things are out of control.there isn't much more that can be done right now,i saw my doctor on friday and she doesn't want me taking the meds that i'm taking now,she wants me only taking tylenols because she's affraid i'm going to get addicted to the narcotics.i can't believe she said that to me,i know if i went off the meds. that i'm taking now i would be ten times worse then i am.i only have a few weeks of narcotics left to take and i know she's not going to give me more so now i'm really worried about how i'm going to be once i run out.anyone have any suggestions on what i should do?

• Is it your PCP or pain management Dr? I think you should find a pain management Dr. or ask your PCP for one. I think some people have to stay on meds for life so I'm not a Dr. and don't know why she made that decision. Stopping your meds too fast isn't right either. So really think a 2nd opinion would be good to back you up whether it's pain management or PCP. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It seems like it never stops, doesn't it...

I just wanted to share something that is helping me with headaches. This may sound way out there, but I know for a fact that I have stopped several migraines from becoming full blown ones. But one thing you will have to do is make sure that you do this at the start of the headache.

OK, so a migraine is caused by the blood vessels clamping down and not letting enough blood supply flow through. here's how I have been taught to control migraines:

First, go somewhere very quiet so that you can completely relax.

Close your eyes and try to let every muscle in your body relax. This takes a lot of practice, so try it even when you don't have a headache.

Then when your mind can focus, think of standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes in very hot soapy water. Or think of laying in the sun on a hot day, or any activity that makes you think of becoming very hot. The purpose is to raise your body temperature, which will then open up the blood vessels and stop the headache.

With practice you will be able to imagine yourself doing whatever you are thinking of. I was quite surprised that I could raise my body temperature with my thoughts. But the therapist teaching me all of this did a baseline temperature on me by attaching monitors to my arm. she showed me the graph where my body temperature was elevated 2 degrees by just thinking of something hot. Amazing!

At first I didn't believe this would work, but I know for a fact that I have stopped some migraines. there have been some that I couldn't stop, but at least I try.

So if you have some time to just close your eyes and relax for a few minutes (or try to relax while in pain, lol), give it a try. Once you master this technique you could help the headaches a bunch. My attitude was anything was worth trying, and I have been pleasantly surprised with the results. Now if I could just figure out how to help the other pain.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Cindy, I really like your post. It is amazing what all of us can do using our minds. Its not something that just happens, it does take a bit of training or learning.

I have found that when migraines are starting or another flareup is brewing, I go to my "Mindzone"

That is one room in our house, I can shut the blinds on the windows, put on some very soothing relaxing music, use some aroma therapy ( some designed to help with certain problems)
    In a short time, I can drift just about anywhere.

The mind is a very powerful tool
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com