Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

microdiscectomy L4 S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just had a microdiscectomy 3 weeks ago and wasn't feeling too bad, the pain I had in my calf for over a year seemed to be gone. But all of a sudden at around 2 weeks the pain came back in my leg. Has anyone had this happen and did it eventually go away?

• I'm 9 days post-op L5-S1 microdiscectomy. I have been on bedrest most of the day as ordered. Today the pain is back to a 10 on the pain scale.
  • After a week or so after my microdiscectomy my pain levels were so high i thought my surgery had failed or i had reherniated. But my doctor and physio said it was probably nerve damage and put me on amitriptyline (not sure of spelling sorry) which helped loads!

Dont despair! The pain WILL go!
  • Hi Charris,

Your leg pain eventually went away? How long did it take? Do you still have pain in your lower back? I'm really worried that I've been doing a bit too much (3 weeks post op)and reinjured myself as in addition to the pain in my calf, I can feel a lot of "pressure" down at my tail bone like I had prior to surgery. Its hard to do nothing, I have a very active 3 year old!
    I walk on the treadmill 3 or 4 times a day for 20 to 30 minutes and I'm trying to get by on Tylenol 3 instead of percacet.

Thank you for your reply.
  • terriblethrees,
    please keep me updated on your progress since you sound like you are about the same symptoms and surgery dates.

I am back to having the same pain in my right hip, calf and lateral side of right foot that is the same as the day I went in for surgery. I have started back on the prescription pain pills. I called my neurosurgeon office and told the nurse my symptoms and she said she would have to talk to the doctor and would call me back.I still haven't heard anything. I asked her about medrol dose pack since that has helped for this same nerve pain in the past. I sure hope they call it in for me.
  • Hi.
    Yeah mostly the pain has gone. I had my surgery in November. I really feel i id the need the 6 week recovery time that the doctor estimated. After i started the amiltriptyline things got better - it eased the pain and helped me to sleep with i wasnt doing at the time. I followed the advice of resting and short walks when i could (sounds like you are doing ALOT of walking!). Initially i was told to only sit up for like meal times as sitting puts pressure on the back. I always knew when i had overdone things because the pain would return...so you must listen to what its telling you. Maybe easeoff for a day or two - annoying i know!

I now have different issues causing pain but as far as the MD went yes my pain has now pretty much gone. Im stiff in the mornings and it takes me a while to get moving and I ache at the end of the day if ive been walking around alot or on my feet. But compared to before its nothing!

• Hi,

I just went back to my neurosurgeon today for my 4 week post op visit. He didn't seem to have the best of news for me. He said since I had no leg pain after the surgery for a week or so, he thinks I have probably reherniated it or there is a small chance I have just irritated the nerve. He said if the pain is not better in 2 weeks I have to go for another MRI and if it shows a reherniation he said I'll need more surgery.

I'm really choked as I have tried to do everything right. I've done no bending, no twisting, I even have my husband put on my sock and undies! I've lay flat on my back and done lots of walking, virtually no sitting.

I'm hoping its just the nerve that's irritated but he said it's not likely.

Very frustrating!
  • After my L5-S1 micro, I was in a ton of pain. I mean a ton!
    Just about the same as pre-op.
    At the 4 week mark of no improvement, I called and asked to come back in for a consult.
    They recommended an ESI.
    I had it, felt no immediate change until the 3rd day after.
    The pain started to ease.
    By the 7th day I was pain free.

PT and ice also helped.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008