Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New (again) to these forums

nurse_jaclynnnurse_jaclyn Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
My name is Jaclyn. I am a 29 year old Ohioan. I had previously explored these forums to ease my frustrations. It is always nice to have someone else "get it". I started to experience back pain while carrying my third son. Upon delivery I asked for an epidural. I had one with my first child without any problem. However, this time it took two doctors and 8 tries before they were successful. After being home four days I felt a stabbing pain down my back and dropped to the floor. I went to the OB/GYN who determined this was not an epidural problem. My PCP then referred me to the local pain clinic to see a colleague of the anesthesiologist who performed the epidural. She first decided that childbirth had caused a flare up, so we tried several different meds. After a few months of continuous pain she did an MRI and saw that my L4, L5, and S1 had ruptured disks so we tried a cortisone injection which caused me to have heart palpitations and sweat profusely, but did not help the pain. After exhausting all other treatment options she finally sent me to see a NS who decided it was best to do a L4-S1 PLIF. I underwent this surgery April 18, 2008. Then when it was time to leave post op my NS decided that I was not progressing well, so he sent me to rehab. Once there I did not eat or sleep for three days, just moved from bed to chair and back in severe pain. After finally adjusting my meds I was to start PT, but guess what? Their new contractors bailed, so I received no PT. Then after six days I noticed a big hole forming in my back. I was immediately rushed back in and opened up once again, only to find skin staph. After a week of IV antibiotics I finally was released. Since then I have done PT, hydrotherapy, meds, chiropractic. I have exhausted all options presented to me by my doctors. So now almost a year later I am still in awful pain while taking muscle relaxers and 50 mg of Percocet a day. Oh yeah.. I also have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. This, I am told is the cause of my neck and shoulder pain. So here I sit a young single mom of 9 y/o, 6 y/o, and 14 month old boys, unable to play or even pick up the baby. Let alone support them (I am a nurse, but unable to work that physically right now).Thanks for listening. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

• hi and welcome back to the forum! :H we are still here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. well, you have a lot on your plate and babies to boot!! have you talked to your doctor about the new fibromyalgia treatment called Lyrica. it is a nerve pain medication and i have had great results. you have to work through the side effects as your dosage is increased but it is well worth the effort! we also have a "Fibromyalgia" forum. i hope you are able to find other ways to help with your pain. do you have a mom or mother in law who can come help for awhile? do what you can, that is the best you can do!! :D Jenny :)
  • Hi Jaclyn, Your story sounds similar to mine, as I also had my pain onset after the birth of my son (about 5 months post-delivery), and have been through many different docs and procedures, with no success. I have also been told I may have fibromyalgia, though I am not sure, but I do think there is something else going on that makes it difficult for me to heal from injuries. I also have flare ups of neck/arm pain from time to time, and it is also difficult for me to care for my son, and thus, he is in daycare - which is hard for me. I used to be such a strong, athletic, energetic person, and now I can't do much due to the pain. I really hope we can both find some community support here, and that we both find something that works.
    Take care,
  • I am so sorry to see another failed fusion but am glad that you are here as you will find much support and understanding here. I wish you much luck and please keep us posted.
  • I appreciate everyone's responses. I was on Lyrica for quite some time. It helped tremendously with my fibro pain, however I experienced excessive weight gain throughout the duration of this med. Although I did not change my diet or amount of exercise at all. Finally my PM doctor took me off Lyrica because he felt that the weight gain would cause my back more problems. Fortunately my father spends every moment that he is not working here to help with the boys, but he works very long hours. So occasionally I have to fend for myself. The older two boys are very helpful as well. Sometimes I feel that I am taking up alot of their "being a kid" time. I have started to send the littlest one to daycare. But number one I feel bad that he is not here. I want to teach him things and let him know he can depend on me. Number two It is hard to pay for daycare when you are not able to work to make money. I really appreciate everyone's support!
  • Welcome back Nurse Jaclyn :H Nice to hear from you again. I'm sorry you're still in pain. So am I after my fusion last summer. I'll be having another MRI soon to see what the trouble is this time :O It's good to have you here again :)
  • So I'm back yet again. Actually I never leave I just usually read everyone elses posts and by then my back hurts so bad from sitting here that I log off. So I will let you all read what I posted above a year ago. That is all the same, but I fell in May and slipped the disc above my first surgical site and they also say that I slippedd one of the artifical discs out of place and they would risk paralyzing me if they attempted to fix it. So since May I now use a walker or wheelchair even around the house. I have tried several more epidural injections, trigger point injections and also some under live xray to no avail. I have told the doctor it just hurts worse but that is all he will do. Have a new PM dr. to see but have to wait several months to get in. As of last night I tried to lay down in bed with my son and my back made a loud popping noise and now I have had what I can only explain as electrical shocks recurring down my back and in the front of my left leg. I recall these type of shocks in my leg post surgery and was told it was a possibility they were aftereffects from the trauma of surgery. I have also heard that you can have this type of pain from trauma to your S1. Any thoughts would be appreciated because my doctor won't return my calls, all they ever want to do is increase the pain meds.Help pleasse?!