Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Neck pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was in a MVA in 00, where I nearly succeded in putting my head through my windshield. I went through several months of PT and found it to be relieving at the time. Well 7 years later I was experiencing more and more discomfort and pain. I am now at a point where it is every day that I am in pain. I have a herniated disk C4, C5 the bulge is impending on the cord. I have had times of numbness in my left arm more than my right but not very often. DR. nerve test show nothing. I'm quite scared to get surgury, and have tried PT again but to no avail. Am I looking at "pain Management" here?

• I've had some injections for pain management and I've felt some relief from referred pain from the herniation and anular tear. What meds are you on? If surgery is offered to you get a second opinion. That's rough you've had it with that accident and having pain all this time takes a toll on you. I'm wondering why you haven't had any pain management yet. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Have you seen a dr recently for your problem? Do they suggest surgery? Have you had any injections? Do you take any muscle relaxants? Please let us know more about your problem and the doctors you've seen and what they've suggested. Take care, Debbie
  • I would have to say that in dec of 07' I decided thatI just couldn't take the pain any longer, so I found a Doc. The doc took all the necesary test confermed my problem and gave me flexeral and vicaprofin. I was able to get by but the prescriptions was only for 30 pills per month. I expressed my need for furthur relief but within just three months he was trying to "ween" me off like he had done something. Never sugg. shots. So I soon sought out another Doc. This time I went to my family Doc. and he suggested a spine and sports Doc. so I found one and made an appointment. By the end of our first visit I got the "talk". Saying "I'll give you some meds but we are going to start to "ween" you off very soon because you have already been on meds for 3 months.

He also sent me to PT and I went with a great ambishion but even the therap. said after 10-15 visits that I still havn't made any progress. Soon the Doc. just refused to give me meds like I was a junkie.

My family Doc. has helped me out every now and again and I've had a few different conditions since then where I have had to take pain meds for additional pain like, prostatitis, epididimitis, wisdom tooth. So if you looked at my DEA report I would say it looks like I have continually been in pain but I think Docs. read it Differently.

My current condition is the worst it has been. The pain radiates up both sides of my neck every day. I do the best to take advil but it does very little. Every day I get home from work I have to lay down to take the strain off my neck.

This bothers me on a level other than pain. I have trouble sleeping to the point every few hours I wake up and constantly toss and turn. I choose to sleep on the couch just to give my wife a good night sleep. I often have to take off work because I feel horrible in the morning. I feel bad like I'm not the husband I could be. I am so different now where I was a roofer for 10 years and very musclular and fit and now I sit 30# over weight and miserable.

I've even had accupunctur, nothing helps. The only time I feel "normal" is when I am with meds. Truley I know nothing about Pain mangment Docs and think they would just look at my DEA record and Look down on me.

I appretiate so much that you have taken the time to help me, it's a great feeling just to know some people that know what I go through on a daily basis. People just can't truley fully understand what it's like.
  • If you have had tests that show your disc is impinging on your spinal cord, you are not doing yourself any favors by just treating the pain symptoms. Until the pressure is relieved, you will probably will not get better, in fact, you are in danger of getting worse, along with permanent nerve damage. I would suggest that you see a neuro-surgeon for an evaluation. If you only have a problem at one level, even if they did a fusion, you would not lose much mobility in your neck, and the possibilities of relieving your pain would be well worth the evaluation. Please investigate this further, as living in pain can be very debilitating and depressing. Good luck.
  • I agree that seeing a neurosurgeon soon would be in your best interest since you have nerve impingement. You will find that doctors have different opinions and it is good to get a second opinion. I know that you probably have read horror stories from having surgery, but there are good outcomes too. Once they get better they leave the forums. Having surgery is a big decision and you must read up on everything to be able to make an informed decision. I go to pain mgt for my chronic lower back pain and sciatica since I had 2 surgeries that didn't relieve the pain. I'm on the medications listed below to manage my pain. I understand how hard this is and how the pain robs you of your former self. I'm glad you found this forum to vent your frustrations and you also have friends here that relate to what you're going though. Hang in there...