Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TOS surgery scheduled- unknown territory

griffggriff Posts: 496
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I finally got my act together and lined up all the care for both my mother and myself so that I can have my surgery on Feb. 17. I had to arrange for 2 months of full time care- not easy to do at such short notice. It's been a whirlwind and I don't feel at all prepared. I deceided to keep my dogs at home this time- the people that are caring for me can care for them too. I know I'll feel much better having them here and really don't want the added expense of the kennel.

I'm sure that the main reason that I feel so lost is that I have nothing to go by, no experiences to read or have shared with me. It's like going to a foreign country alone and not knowing the language. The office manager for the surgeon, after hearing my nervousness, asked me if I'd feel better if I spoke with someone that has been through the surgery with the doctor. I said yes, of course, but still haven't heard from anyone.

I'm not used to being scared and I don't like it one bit. Perhaps scared isn't the right word, maybe I'm more gunshy at this point LOL! I have faith in the surgeon but still can't shake this feeling- any suggestions?

• I think its great you will be able to speak with someone who has been thru the surgery, if you don't hear on Monday than call their office Tuesday, stay on them! It REALLY put my mind at ease when I had my discectomy (which was less than 1 month after diagnosis, a whirlwind at the time).

I am thrilled you can get help and moreso that you can keep the pooches, they will help in the healing in their own way. My baby girl is finally allowed on the bed, we were so afraid she would step on my incision :))) I still am careful (she is a maltese & maybe bichon something something from the pound, have had her almost 2 years).

Advice? Positive attitude, baby! Every day I visualize my bones fusing. Hokey? Sure. But the mind is powerful.

Sending warm vibes from sunny California. No I don't drink wheatgrass juice.
  • Hang in there. You are doing the right thing and getting as much ready as possible. There's an on line forum for TOS that has a surgery section that you might be interested in. http://www.myhealthboard.org/forumdisplay.php?s=c0ff1093c4387df7191adc029307cc1c&f=301 Maybe that could help you find a few answers and put your mind at ease a bit.

I think it will be great to keep your dogs at home. They are so great for giving unconditional love and knowing when we need them to be nearby for comfort.

Best wishes,

• I think you know how I feel. I understand your apprehension. I went into ACDF with NO information except what my doctor told me. Just know that we are all behind you cheering you on and praying this is the LAST surgery you will ever have to have. I'm sending you a PM.
  • I still don't FEEL ready for some reason. I'm the kind of person who normally dots my I's and crosses my T's and my upper body just isn't cooperating. I'm sorry I'm not answering other posts as much as normal but typing is torture and keeping up with my pm's and these posts are about as much as I can handle.

Thanks for the link C, I'll take a look at it. I just hope it is as positive as this board is.

I'll post when/if I hear from the other patient. It should be interesting to hear from someone who's been through it with the same doc.