Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am Just getting started here!!

faithealsffaitheals Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in New Member Introductions
:T As I take a time out in my life to finally focus on me,I have come to find this page!! I am truly in hopes to find some support, answers to questions, and a path in the right direction for the chronic pain that hinders my everyday life! My name is "Faith" I am a 31 year old wife and mother of 2, I am a phlebotomist and a 4.0 Nursing student, However I have had to put my ambitions and goals on hold while I pursue a pain free or at least a pain less way of living!!. It started when I was young, I was a gymnast and cheerleader although I had mild to moderate lower back pain,i continued in doing my hearts desire of cheering on competition squads and being one of few that was able to do my back tuck and layout without a problem, that is not without pain in my lower back EVERYDAY! I graduated school and didn't pusue college right away I had worked in the home health care field and noticed since i hadn't been cheering, except for teaching my little sister, my symptoms of pain had suppressed a bit. From that point, I had started my Nursing studies at a local Nursing School where i had noticed A tremendous amount of pain after being on the floor for hours at a time lifting and caring for patients!!! January of '06 I was laying on the floor at home watching a movie (I already had a, what I called normal back ache and full of motrin, that's what I always took) When I went to stand up, I couldn't move the pain was sooooo excrutiating! I had to have an ambulance get me off the floor, however at MY direction!!!! I felt like i was going to die....literally, i thought i was going to be paralyzed first!!! I was never in sooo much pain. :''( I had been given an MRI that night that revealed alot of problems from L-2- S-1: DDD, Annular tear, disc rupture/bulge, arthritis, beginning stages of stenosis, and also chronic facet syndrome :jawdrop: I was completely unaware of the amount of problems i had in my lower lumbar. However since then I have had the worst problems with being treated for the pain and other alternatives that may be implemented. I recieved another MRI in Nov. '08 showing progression to the negative with each of my DX, I am at a loss of hope at this point!! On top of this, in the meantime, I was found by my biological mother who in turn has a list of back problems simliar to mine after knowing my biological father, his family is almost the EXACT same but worse. Is this what I have to look forward to??? Please, I have tried injections Which DO NOT HELP, steroids which gave me a gradual 35 pound weight GAIN, every pill known to the pharmacist, also medicinal interventions i refused, I hope I can find some answers here!! I am suffering miserably everyday and can not even enjoy my little ones like i should!! Please lead me in the right direction!! Thanx 4 listening!
advertisement

Comments

• That's rough to get sick before you've finished your schooling. Also to have young ones to care for. I hope you do get better with physio or if you get a chance to take water physio, I've been off work for a year also due to DDD and pain from a heavy assignment and have a herniated disc and tear. This other site was helpful for me understand some terms better. www.chirogeek.com I hope it gets better for you take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Faith:
    Although I'm 15 years older than you, our histories and career aspirations are so alike. I was a dancer, did a lot of gymnastics and was a cheerleader - I practiced for hours every day - a full eight hours a day for a time. I have continued to dance most of my life.

I'm also working toward my RN. I'm just about done with all of my pre-reqs ahead of one-year of clinicals, and have the same GPA as you. Those have taken me nearly four years. I'm sure you worked as hard as I did for those grades in those intense science classes; the frustration and sense of loss over the possibility of not finishing the RN degree is overwhelming.

I just had my first injection, and it didn't seem to help. I'm thinking, "now what??" The pain I'm experiencing is over-the-top and I don't know how on earth I'll get through nursing school. I need a good cry!

hugs to you - as you can see, I really understand. Mary
  • Hi Faith,

I'm hoping you have periods of relief...that are better than your most difficult times. It's in the windows of "better" that we gain strength and know when it is bad.. things will come round again to something better. We have to take our joy, inspiration, hope, motivation, perserverence, strength, determination, enlightenment, and as your name suggests... faith... in the small loud and quiet moments! perhaps its from your children's smiles (or their fights lol) from a silly joke, a gentle breeze, realizing there is more to life than a clean house, from a partner, random acts of kindness, or just having a good ol gripe, moan and a cry!

Stay strong, never give up, it may be cliche... but God never gives us more than we can bear...

I'll be thinking of you! and wish you the best of luck on your journey of healing. feel free to pm me too for laughter or tears!!!

Take care,
    Diamonde
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • I am sorry to hear that you are suffering so much with your back. My pain also comes mostly from problems with my facet joints. Have you ever had a rhizotomy (nerve burn)? That is what has given me the best relief. I wish you much luck and please keep us posted.
advertisement