Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One Year Post Op.

keith_45kkeith_45 Posts: 71
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Feb 5th was my one year anniversary from 2 level TLIF L4-S1 fusion surgery. I'm glad I did it due to all the pain I suffered for 7 years leading up to surgery. I felt 100% better up until Thanksgiving then started having some discomfort in my lower back again but not like before. Went to my Dr. in January and he said my pain was probably from my L3-L4 disc which showed to be Degenerative when I had surgery but I had no pain coming from that disc on my Discogram prior to surgery. I had my first injection yesterday in over a year and I hope that knocks the pain out for awhile. Not looking forward to taking pain meds again. I have been back on them for the last six weeks and now hope to wean back off them since the injection. The problems never go away for good but I can say they have been alot better.

• Its been a while since I've visited here. After my discographry, and the doc saying fusion, I thought I could deal with the pain, Live...gardening, mowing...you get the pix,that scared me out of L4/5 fusion. Since the discographry, when they appplied the pressure, the pain has been unbearable, I still work, but I cant take 10.5 hrs days for long. After the dg, my pain level is a constant 7 with norco 10/325. I had an epidural 2 weeks ago and it hasnt helped much except that ontop of lack of sleep from pain, the steroid keeps me from sleeping even with 1 ambian CR every 4 hours. My pcp is aware of this. With 1 year out what are your activitys, how about muscle spasums. I know ...no BLT, but what is the differance between sitting 90 degree/45 degree angle as appose to keeping the back straight, and bending at the hips? I'm sure im missing the point. I think fusion is my only option, to much ddd, left leg numbness, pain and weakness. Thanks Rose
  • Keith, sorry to hear about L3-4, but overall great to hear that you are feeling a ton better than before surgery!
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Bruce, It's good to hear from you and yes I'm still doing pretty well. I'm feeling back to normal today since the injection on friday. At least the injections work now cause I can remember very well before my fusions they did nothing for the pain.

Backpainzz, I still do all the yard work you talk about since my 2 level fusion. I didn't loose near the mobility that I thought I would. I work 12 hr shifts just as I did prior to surgery. I have been working on the house lately painting and texturing the walls and laying new flooring. It hasn't slowed me down any. I do lots more now because I don't lay around hurting all the time. Had been off the pain meds for 8 months before my first flare up since surgery. Just need to think about things before you do them and think about the old back before you lift. The only thing I don't do anymore is golf. My Dr. said to give it up if I can but if not then go play. I have elected to hang up the clubs and do more hunting which I prefer. Good Luck with your decision. You will know when the time is right. I'm 46 now going on 47 soon.