Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hospital bed for home?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. Won't be typing much...I'm not particulary coherent. Did anyone get a hospital bed for use at home after fusion? I'm having troube finding a comfy position for sleeping in ither my ned or reclinr, and doing the 20 stairs up and down between the 1st and 2nd floor in my house wears me out completely! Woudl you recommend, especially if insurance'll cover it?

• for my fusion. I was told by the pharmacy I called that the doctor needs to write a prescription for one. They are only about $100 a month. Not too bad......

• I am also getting one with the pull up bar to help me sit up. If nothing else, the side rails will help with rolling over. If I don't need it, I will have them take it back, but I have trouble getting in and out of my bed now, can't imagine what it will be like after surgery... They also have those booster potty seats, getting one of those too.
  • I had back problems for two and half years and my Dr wrote a script. Well the crappy insurance I have wouldnt even rent it, so I purchased it. You can always take it out of flex plan, and it was only way for me to sleep. I couldnt lay flat and recliner wasnt good for long term. After my fusion, I was glad to have it and at 7 weejs am still using it. The side rails help to turn over on side, and it allows me more comfortable positioning. Good Luck. Booster seat with arms are best, gives u something to hold on to getting up and down.
  • Yes, insurance covered it and I am still in it. It was a godsend for me and I don't know what I would have done without it.
  • I rented one for the first month after my fusion surgery. It was much easier for me to get in and out of. My insurance covered mine and I only had to pay $15. I put mine in the middle of the living room with a table next to it to keep my phone,magazines,tv control,meds and snacks on when I was home alone. I slep in my bedroom and then spent the days in the living room. That bedroom get old after awhile.

• Hope you're doing ok!? I've been thinking of what I'm going to do post-op myself, b/c I remember having the same problem w/my 1st surgery. I've checked into getting a lift chair. They not only lift up to help you stand-they have a power recline. Some even have an optional mattress that goes on it with optional heat and massage. I'm thinking of doing that b/c I'm short on space, and it'll help me get comfortable without taking up a lot of room and monopolizing the whole living room. My insurance covers my durable medical equipment at 90% so a $1000 chair will cost me $100 and I get to keep the chair. It'll be good for those days beyond my post-op time to relax or get into if I can't sleep b/c of pain(like last night). It's just a benefit to keep the equipment after paying the money! Just an idea! By the way....how did things go with the "tuck"??? I'm very anxious to know if it worked out or not! :D
    Take Care!
  • I was able to just continue using my regular bed at home. It was challenging to get in and out to go to the bathroom and walk around, but each time you do it, the better you will become at it. I used a bunch of pillows to support my different positions.

I was more comfortable in bed after surgery than I was before. There is no way I could lay flat before surgery due to pain. After surgery, laying flat was no problem at all. Well, at least until several months later when pain returned. That's a story for another day.

Get a toilet riser (crapper with handles). That is a must!
    Also, try to put things you normally use at home at waist level. Much easier to access. No slip house shoes are nice as well.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2