Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all.
Just a brief question please. I'm getting the sense that this new Neuro is blowing me off. I call his office and they dont reply. If I cannot find anyone,Surgeon or other to treat this blown L-5 disc, what do I do?
Someone MUST have to help me...right? Where would I go to tell someone I can't get treatment?

• Maybe a lawyer, I know that seems odd but maybe the doctor will take notice of a call from them. I understand your situation and I know it's tough so maybe they can help. Maybe you can sign a waiver or release of responsibility???
    Something that takes the pressure off the surgeon in response to your "habits". They really do pose a terrible risk to your survival in and out of surgery.
    Best Wishes
  • Careful on the lawyer bit, you can be black listed.

Has this neuro surgeon operated on you? If not find another doctor, does it have to be a neuro surgeon? Perhaps find a spine surgeon or another neuro surgeon?

Have you talked to your primary physician?
  • Is this the new neurologist that your family doctor was trying to refer you to? I'm sorry about this situation and I don't have any answer for this. The best thing to do is to "start over" again but everyone requires medical records now. I would keep trying to find a doctor who would give you a chance. It's easier than it sounds but something needs to be done. Just keep your cool and avoid further conflicts with these current doctors. Hang in there, the only way to go from here is up.
  • Agreed,and thanks.yes, Thisis the new Neuro that my primary sent me too. I think my primary is gunna boot me now.
    I may split and go to Fl , Ur right ..I have to start over but,,,,the records do follow me.
  • I agree....however, I believe I AM blacklisted now. Can they do this? i need help. My primary had told this new Neuro of my past "history"...they look @ u. like u are some kinda degenerate,,,,,well, I understand that but, I am a human being.subject to the ill's of this world, be it drug addiction or whatever. Should I not be entitled to appropriate health care? This is BS. I am going to the Board of professional conduct in reference to the first's Neuro discharge of me. He was supposed to "follow" my fusion in a year....well, a year is in a few days away and he abandoned me. This is professionalism? I have sent a letter to the them complaining already.......I'm awaitng a reply.
    My leg is numb and weak, I have to walk w/a cane, my back(lower)-L-5 is KILLING me, I have a 3 level ACDF,w/hardware. Cord decompression,cervical Myleopathy,and now nobody will help me?
  • Pika
    Understood. I know My"Habits".past tense dear,do.I will explore that option.

Thank You

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    they are denying you. If there is some medical reason they are staying away from you or is just because of your situation.
    Starting over might be the answer, but remember medical records will follow you wherever you go.
    This may sound a bit harsh, but if the standard ways of obtaining a doctor to take care of you fails, there are clinics that handles situations. They will provide anyone with medical services. Now, I do not know to what extent and to what specialty they will handle, but they will never turn a person away.
    Almost every large city will have lists of various clinics to see.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Maybe your states University Hospital will help you? Just a suggestion Kyadog, I do hope you get help with your pain.
  • Paul,

You need to look at things from the perspective of the Doctor. Are you, personally, really worth putting their career and lively hood on the line.

I've been reading your posts over the last several months and I gotta say, people like you really piss me off. You have admitted to using cocaine within the last couple of months, you take more of your prescriptions because you don't get any pain relief unless you get the buzz (those are your words in another post).

I have personally lived in pain for the past 8+ years. I may never get the relief I desire. I take prescription narcotics on a daily basis, just enough to allow me to function in life. I would love to take more and be pain free but then I would not be able to do my job or live a normal life for that matter. Just so you know, once on opiates for a while, some of the side effects no longer occur i.e. the euphoria or buzz that you like, but the pain is still managed. Sometimes opiates work quickly or slowly depending on what you have in your system.

You need to grow up and seek professional help for your problems with addiction. You may have to live with pain for a while until you get your head right.

• Hi there,

Tough words from dave... solely in my opinion the truth is somewhere in the middle. There are 2 of you in this - you and the doc. On your side is your history... you do have a responsibility to do your best in your recovery, follow the doc's advice and all that goes with that. The doc... has responsibility too for your treatment and care. But as others have said... starting over sounds like the best way forward .

In going forward... you have to think about how you want to come across to any new doc. I think the lawyer idea may be a bit OTT and may make it harder for you to be taken on by a new doc... perhaps a letter from you to the doctor - and you asking for it to be placed on your file so it will follow you.. in a letter like that, you could explain your situation in a neutral, non-blaming, assertive but not aggressive manner and you could explain how in your opinion you've got to the point you're at... doing something like that might help any subsequent docs see your side - but not in a way that would make the next doc nervous about taking on someone with a complicated history... if you know what i mean...

Best of luck on this journey.

L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Ok where to begin. I have been in the medical field for about 6 years now.

We have seekers, those whom come solely for drugs. How do they become addicted to these drugs? Doctors prescribe them, often to openly. You become physically and mentally dependant, its an illness. Is it the doctors fault? Not neccessarily, their patients in pain, they give a pain med, still in pain, increase it, then the cycle begins.

HOWEVER, it's not an excuse. You must get the willpower and quit yourself. Go to rehab if you must. Life isn't going to be pain free for you.

Sometimes you must have some pain. Prove to your doctor you want to change, don't ask for pain medications, tell him your dead serious that you want to get better, no matter what, that you will take the pain you are going through till a solutation can be found.

And don't be hostile, listen to the doctors and follow their advice, if you don't like it get a second opinion.

From what I have read it sounds like you have been fired as a patient several times, which should tell you something.

I live in Florida, give me a bit more info of your history as I just came to these boards a few weeks ago and havn't read every post.

• Thanks for the comment and I too agree. Somewhere in the middle is an accurate description. I like the letter idea.
  • Dave
    You are certainly entitled to that opinion and I must respect it. However,I "personally" may not be worth it to the Doctor as you state but because of a previous addiction issue,I am not getting adequate care. That's acceptable?
    Secondly,I'm sorry you live w/pain too. But you are fortunate. You say without narcotic pain meds you wouldn't be able to do your job,I can longer perform any job due to my severe condition. That has been clearly documented in a letter from the first Neuro. Also, I am well aware that continued use of any medication,effects decrease and tolerance builds in the system. I do appreciate your attempt to enlighten me though.Lastly,as for "growing up" I don't know what makes you think you are any wiser than anyone else however this is far from a matter of growing up,it's a matter of obtaining appropriate care,in whatever manner..ie" surgery,meds,therapy..that a doctor has taken an oath to provide a patient in need. Just one more comment,You state you;d love to take more of the medication but you dont....Can you HONESTLY say you never have? I highly doubt that.

• Pika
    Thanks for that advise...

• Yes, That is how the cycle begins, I agree. I don't think it's either's fault. However, this is what happens.I have only been "fired" once,by the first Neuro.But, I am aware that due to my own behavior that was probably warranted.
    As well,I am really sick of this medication anyway. I think I will follow your advice and at my nextPCP appt. I will tell ask him to discontinue the pain meds and try myself to get off it.
    I do have an addictive personality and this is just one more thing to complicate that.
    Thanks for the post..

2-12-08 3 Level ACDF w/hardware(Skyline plate,8 screws) C 3-6,,partial Corpectomey,Cord decompression, Cervical Myleopathy,Severe stenosis. During ACDF surgery,developed spinal fluid leak, lumbar drain installed. Upon removal of drain, tip broke and lodged in my back. 2 back surgeries to finally locate and remove.
    8-08 Blew out L-5 disc,pressing on the S-1 nerve root. causing left leg numbness and weakness. Left foot numb as well.Cane required.
  • other than what other people have said (although I particularly like the idea of a neutral letter explaining your circumstances and stating that you are looking for pain relief of some form, even if it comes without a high at all).

But I just wanted to say that I really hope you find a solution, and soon. It's easy to "blame" people for abusing drugs, bu there is always a valid story behind it, and I wouldn't judge someone for their past any more than I would judge someone who has cancer.

Of course you have to take responsibility for your own actions - we all do - but you are just as entitled to healthcare as any of us on here.

Just wanted to say I really hope you find a doctor who will work with you, both in terms of pain relief and in terms of managing your addictive personality.
  • Yes, I can Honestly say that I never have. In fact I have endured a fair amount of discomfort because I misjudged and under took at a particular dosage and had to wait for the next dosage time. I do not mess with the clock. I keep a running log book of what I take and when I take it.

• Janey,
    Very well said and Intelligently viewed. Thank You for that.

• Please don't just go by what I said, I only ramble often ;) Just speak in detail and be honest/truthful to the doctor. Don't play any games seekers often play.

Just my opinions/suggestions. And with luck the doctor won't let you stay in pain.