Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WARNING
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval
ATTENTION: All NEW MEMBERS
1) Your first discussion or comment needs to go through a moderator's approval process before it can be published.
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

Does MRI With Contrast Hurt?

caitycccaityc Posts: 268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone! I had a MRI this morning, and I have to go back later today because they also need contrast. She explained to me that they inject it into the vein. She said it won't be an IV, just one shot.

My question is, does the dye hurt? Did the dye make any of you sick?

Thanks!

Caity
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,201
    Caity,
    I doesn't hurt at all. Basically the same as when you have other type of injections. An initial prick, but not much afterwards
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Not at all just one shot and that's it the contrast doesn't hurt at all .
  • ive had dye injected for a ct scan, didnt hurt, but tasted a bit yukky!!

i just went weak at the thought of the stuff going into my vein, but im a bit like that anyway

• She told me mine would be in my arm, in a vein. I couldn't imagine it going in my back! :S

Thanks again for all your replies! You made me feel A LOT better! :D

>:D< >:D<

Caity
  • MRI and CT contrast (dye) are different
    since MRI is a magnet and CT an "extreme" xray,CT contrast gives you that mettallic taste and warm sensation, and goes as an injection in arm (usually)

MRI in lumbar with contrast is usually injected into the lumbar area if they are looking real specifically- OR in vein for overall look ( i have had it done both ways.)they told me once you have spine surgery , every MRI you have should be with contrast.

They usually prescreen you before MRI- to make sure you have no metal or such things prior- ask them then how it is administered- this way you have all the info and less apprehension....that usually works for me!

this is just what i know about these tests- not a doc, but hope information helps a little.

good luck with everything!
  • Hello....I'm a newbie to this site & newly diagnosed. I was just wondering about this same question. Thanks you all! This site is just great for someone like me who is trying to figure all this stuff out.
  • It was not bad at all. <:P :) She gave me an IV, then injected the contrast. She did have to have a Dr. near by in case I had a reaction. :S Which she said is nausea. :SS She said it would be instantaneous if it happened, and it didn't! #:S

So blondgrl, don't worry about it. It's a piece of cake! I personally don't mind IV's or getting my blood taken so it was super easy.

Thanks again everyone for all of your responses!

>:D< >:D<

Caity
  • deleted
advertisement