Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anyone have "blood pocket"?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I mentioned this in a different post- but wanted to ask specifically if anyone was told they had a "blood pocket"

I am 1 month post op and around the top of my back incision, there is swelling and dr said its either this pocket or a reaction to the BMP- more likely the pocket though.. It will reabsorp hopefully, but is a bit painful at times. Anyone have this and can you tell me your experience? My abdominal incision is fine.

• Not sure if it's the same issue you are having but I had a giant hematoma (pooled blood) where my incision was, and had 2 drains during my hospital stay which took out over a liter of drainage.

He said it is whats causing me a lot of the pain I was having and immbolity issues (stiffness).

Still draining even after 2 weeks since surgery.
  • ooowww!-- it sounds painful, I am sorry you are going through this.
    I think we have the same deal because Dr told me to keep an eye on it and check for draining and redness etc... but my incision is completely healed, so how could it drain to the outside without a drain put it? and it is painful to the touch and if i roll over onto it at night when i am trying to sleep.

I had a drain in at hospital and the nurses said it didnt drain that much, so they took it out 3 days in (I think) I was in hospital 5 days.

I hope it just reabsorps and doesnt become an issue
    Thanks for your input and heres hoping it gets better for you soon!
  • After the tumor surgery there were three drains,one on my right side of my back and two on my right leg. They were removed the day of my discharge and two weeks later the doctor exrayed both sites to see if blood was pooling. Nome was but on my right hip on the side there was fluid and i was told that it would go back into my system and it's been 11 months and it's still there and only hurts a little.

My new doctor said give it more time, everyone is different.
    So i will.

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • I just think they took the drains out to soon, I was only in the hospital for two days. Personally I think they shouldof let them stay in for a week as I am having a lot of drainage still (moderate).
  • I am 7 months post-op and my neuro had an MRI w and w/o contrast because my pain has not improved. There is a large coagulated? blood pool in the spine area (spinal fusion at l-4, l-5 & s-1) which is heavy and pressing on my lower spine. He said this would most definitely cause my pain. I also have bad knee pain and swelling in left ankle. I think the knee pain will ease after the drainage which should be done next week. I wish they would hurry - I would like some decrease in pain.
    So you are not alone. I'd just like to know what causes it and if it's been there all this time and if it can come back.
    Any ideas?????