Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back locks up after fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I have been reading in here for a while now but have never posted. I have been trying to find something about what is going on with my back and can't find anything and my doc's office isn't much help either.. Here's my story... In 07 i hurt my back and had a nerve block in Dec 07, had therapy, then had a discectomy at l3-l4 with more therapy, reherniated and had fusion l3-l4 with BMP and cadaver, and rods and screws. When I was sent home after the 2nd surgery I was able to sleep on my back and on my sides with no problem. 1 month in to recovery I swelled up like a balloon and went to the e.r. and spent 8 long hours and they couldn't tell me what was wrong with me. They gave me lasiks and told me to keep my feet up, well after a week or so the swelling went down and just all of a sudden one night I was in bed and my back just locked up on me and it didn't feel like a muscle cramp or anything but on a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 25! Now 3mths post op and still cant sleep in bed because of the locking up thing so I have to sleep on the reclining end of my couch. I don't lock up on the couch but in therapy i go in the pool and i lock up in the deep end when i try to do the jogging. pretty scarry because it's like i'm paralized when I lock up. does anyone else experience this type of thing? My doctor said it happens to everyone but why can't I find any info on it. Please share your experience with me...

• I haven't had surgery but have had injections for facet joints. The pain I had was locking back and crunching and felt and I still feel pain but not as bad. I'm not saying that is your case though I think you surgeon or PCP should send you to pain management Dr. They are experts of the spine. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN