Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Insurance declined Meds

BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Health Insurance Issues
My new insurance company denied the Lyrica I have been taking. I only restarted the Lyrica a week and a half ago. My PM doctor gave me samples to try and see if they help with the nerve pain. It helps, I started to run out so I called the Dr.'s office for a prescription. They called it in to my pharmacy. When I went to pick it up today I was told the insurance company declined the med. The insurance company say's I need to step up? I'm supposed to take Gabapentin. Not sure what that is. How can an insurance company decide what is right for a patient? Will I go theu withdrawals from the Lyrica?

I'm having nothing but issues with this new company. I now need referals/authorizations for everything. I suppose they will tell me I need to try all the conservative treatments again. I went thru those hoops the end of last year.

Sorry for the rant, I'm over it...

• hi! :H sorry to hear of your difficulties with your meds. ~X( one thing i can tell you is that Gabapentin is an older medication used for nerve pain as is the Lyrica. the Lyrica is brand new and very expensive. there are members who use the Gabapentin on a regular basis and are satisfied with it. =D> it may serve you best to try the medication as it may work for you.. the doctor is most likely unaware of what is covered by your insurance and gave you a very expensive medication. there are some companies, where if your doctor says that is the ONLY medication that will work, then the insurance company will cover it. :D i don't know if this will work for you. your doctor may see no problem with changing the meds! just a thought., good luck! Jenny :)
  • Gabapentin is one of the precursors to Lyrica.
    I did a trial of Lyrica and switched to gaba with no issues whatsoever. Only thing I noticed was a big decrease in co-pays and having to take a few more pills a day as Lyrica has a longer half life.
    It's common for insurance to do these things to save money.
    Try the Gabapentin before you condemn it. For me there was no difference.
  • I went through the same thing. When I dropped off the prescription, they told me the insurance company required a preauthorization. I waited for 2 weeks only to find out they denied it. This is a common practice with expensive medication. They want you to take Neurontin instead b/c it is available in generic form. I personally can't stand Neurontin, but am happy to take Cymbalta for my nerve pain.
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    Thanks everyone! I don't mind trying another med if it will possibly help. The problem that I have is I had this insurance a few years back and was prescribed Lyrica under that insurance. It was never a problem then. Why now?
    I left a message with the Dr's nurse to change to the Gabapentin. I have not herd back as of yet.