Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

26 y/o with lower back pain and leg pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
First id just like to say hello to everyone, and sorry if I ramble on a bit in my first message.

Im 26 and am normally very active. I've had problems with my lower back for over 6-7 years now since being knocked over by a car.

In september 08, I had a very servere attack of lower back pain, where it felt as if my spine was collapsing/ compressing the pain was terrible and I couldn't support my upper body weight, I ended up on my hands and knees on the floor. This happened a few times over the following days, even sitting in a chair i had to support my upper body weight with my arms to relieve the pain.

Because i've had problems with my back for years now I just put it down to my back playing up again and that it would sort itself out like it always does.
But it hasn't since september now I have been getting stabbing pains in my left buttock, as well as pain in my knee, calf and ankle. It feels like a burning pain in my calf and its quite bad at times, also pins and needles in my foot. I’ve also lost a lot of movement simply things like putting on shoes and socks is a struggle.

Decided to finally go to the doctors the other week, as the constant pain is really starting to get me down now. The doc did a few tests, leg raises mainly and suggested I might have a problem with one of my discs. He has sent me for an mri scan, as well as the usual blood tests they always take. Been given pain killers which really do nothing for the pain.

Do these symptoms sound like a possible disc problem?
also any suggestions on pain relief would be really aapreciated?

After reading about a lot of your experience’s in the mri machine doesn’t sound like its something to really look forward too. But will be nice just to finally find out whats wrong with my back and hopefully go about getting it sorted.

Anyway sorry for such a long message and thanks for reading.

• Hi Barri,

Firstly, welcome to the site and sorry to hear about your back troubles... If you search the site you can find out lots of info in the articles about your symptoms. Sounds like they may be disc related, but i'm not a doc. When i had my lower back problems years ago, my symptoms were very like yours. As for the MRI... no worries, their noisy, but they don't hurt at all. Lots of them give you ear phones/ear plugs at the MRI, and some even pipe in music to ear phones to distract you!!

Check out the articles here on herniated discs... that may be a start for your research.

Best of luck
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • I hope the doctors find the cause of your back pain and sciatica. When I had an MRI I was able to listen to a radio station too,and it wasn't so bad. The worst part was having to lay on your back for a while, but it is bearable if they put a pillow under your knees.
  • The pain you described seems to be the same kind that i feel but on a smaller scale, I'm no doctor but it seems like a disc problem.
    The MRI is a breeze, worst part is laying on your back with it completly flat for a half an hour to an hour. I hope whatever your problem is that you can get itbresolved before it gets worse! Good Luck and let me know how it turns out!
  • Your symptoms sound like mine last year. Have the MRI as it will show if your nerves are compressed - sounds like sciatica to me and probably from a disc bulge pressing on the nerves. I couldn't walk, stand or sit for any length of time and eventually had surgery - they replaced by L4/5 vertebra with a cage, very major. If I could do it again I would not let them do such a major surgery as it causes other problems then...(have problems now with pressure on my SI joints!) You can go for a much more simple op to free the nerves - I wish I had but I was in pain and just went with what the surgeon said...
    Another thing to look into is PROLOTHERAPY which is a natural treatment and no surgery. I had my right knee done to avoid knee replacement and it worked. The Dr told me that if I had gone to him when my back first started to go, he could have fixed it with no surgery. Good luck
  • Thank you for all your replies,
    Its nice to talk to people who have either been through or are going through similar problems. Im sure my misses thinks im just putting it on for some sympathy :/ .
    Its true what they say, that if you've never had a bad back you cant appreciate how painful it can be.
    My lower back itself feels much better now just getting the odd twing and ache nothing major at all, its just left me with this horrible sciatica.
    Fingers crossed the doc's will be able to diagnois it and get it sorted.

• Hi Barri,

I'm a realtive newbie to all this back/spine talk but I have gone through almost exactly the same symptoms and problems you have. In my unprofessional opinion, you probably have a damaged L4-L5 disk. That is likely the reason you have sciatica b/c the disk is compressing your sciatic nerve. I have gone through the days of not being able to walk...etc... severe pain... Currently I am able to manage my pain with pills/strecthes/ice..etc.

Until you get the results of your MRI you will not be able to know the exact cause of your problems. But once you do, I would see a neurosurgeon if the results warrant. I hope all goes well. I know what you are going through.

• Here is a link to some stretches that really help me out. I'm not saying they are for everyone and though I'm not sure what causes your sciatica, given your symptoms, I think they may help. Also, some pain pain and muscle relaxers could be very benifical. I found this set of stretches on this site btw. Dont overdo it and if the pain is worse, dont push it. Just do what you are comfortable with.

This discussion has been closed.