Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anterior thoracic/lumbar corpectomy

shazzasshazza Posts: 66
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
anyone had this operation done? im having a fusion first of L5 S1, but have this surgery on T12 L1 in the future,but im not having much luck finding much out about it..surgeon wont do the two surgeries together, which i would have preferred.

Please post if you know anything about the corpectomy, which will be in from the side and removing a rib for access, and taking out the vertebrae and disks, replacing with bone and hardware

thanks for reading

• I had T12 and L2 corpectomy's done on July 13 posterior fixation and four days later anterior cages placed. I am 50 yr old nurse who was dx with plasmacytoma. I can honestly say i was scared to death when told what they were going to do. I too researched this procedure but had less then a week until it was to be done. Even my brother questioned the survival of the body for this but I am here to tell you it can be done!!! I was in ICU for 14 days, basically because I was a RN and they wanted me to be there, and then three days on the floor. At the time of surgery I was told my only other option was a wheelchair and for me that was not an option. My spinal cord was already compressed and I had some episodes of loss of movement to lower extremities. I was home for 8 days and had my first dr's appt. I was on a walker for three weeks and then a cane for a week and then none. I am still on pain meds, not as before and I am driving, walking and climbing stairs. I can bend and tie my shoes, lift 15 lbs. I also had 15 days of radiation. Three days before surgery I recieved a phone call from a 67 yr old woman whom the dr asked if she would call me as I wanted to speak to someone who had this done. She is a yr out, walking a mile every morning, swimming in the afternoon and playing cards for three hours in the evening with friends two days a week. She had to go to a nursing home and then rehab because she had no one to take care of her. I was fortunate to have family and friends who pulled shifts to stay with me so I could go home. Anyone who needs someone to talk to who has had this feel free to contact me at sams76@cox.net. Friday was my four month mark and unfortunately my mother passed during this recovery time. On October 26th I made a staight through drive 2375 miles to be home for her funeral. Yes in a car, and yes I am probably going to catch heck when I get back but I was more afraid of getting the swine flu on an airplane with recycled air then the pain of the ride! call me crazy. Good luck to all with their surgeries.