Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Trial Day 4 questions

kstarrkkstarr Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Pain Management
I got the neurostim on Tuesday, for left-leg pain. So far I just don't know. I have had a lot of pain, more than usual even and I don't feel like I am getting much relief from the stim. Isn't it supposed to help right away? I am feeling like I am doing something wrong or will end up one of those people who are never helped. Very disappointing.

For those who went through a trial - is this normal or am I in the category who don't get helped? I have this on until Tuesday anyway so I keep hoping.
advertisement

Comments

• How high do you have the stim set? It can be set too high or too low and either create pain or allow pain to continue to be felt. Do you have the capability to change the level of it? Do you feel any different with it turned off versus on? Is the pain exactly the same pain you always feel or is it different somehow?

With my trial I felt relief instantly and could tell the difference of how high or how low to set the stim. I've discovered that many people set the stim way too high initially, thinking that the higher the better, when it's basically the opposite. Adjust it for just enough to be comfortable and tweak it from there.

Can you contact the rep and get him/her to try making an adjustment to how the lead/s are firing? Some certain firing patterns can create pain while others provide great relief.

"C"
  • Thank you haglandc, yes I can adjust up and down. I have tried several different settings. Maybe since the pain I have isn't consistent, sometimes nothing other times random unexpected shocks or spasms. I will keep plugging away and talk to the rep as you suggested.
  • That the stims can be less effective in the actual area of the back. Is it helping other areas? I know many people have said the trails coverage can be incomplete due to differences in lead placement. They want to see if it reduces pain levels to allow a more normal life and to see if the patient can accept the sensations of the unit.
    I'm asking questions as I am scheduled for trial on March 11. Anything I can learn form anybody is helpful to me. My PM doc is not a talkative guy... I'm only going back as he is supposed to know what he is doing with procedures and he is in network for my insurance...
    I'm praying you get some relief and it works out in the end! :)))
  • My back is ok, the pain is only in my leg most of the time.
    I can say that I think getting used to the buzzing will be easy. It is very strange but it doesn't bother me too much.

I am still trying to decide if it helps. Sometimes I think yes, other times, no. Good thing I have it on several more days.

Oh, my back is itching like crazy. I am allergic to adhesives. They tried some different kind of tape but it itches! I may take it off and try some other tape they gave me.
  • keep on trying w/the SCS. Use your programmer they are there for you. The trial for me was all over the place. I never had consistant steady stimulation anywhere unless I was completely still. I did get relief and because the percutaneous leads were all over the place I was recommended for a paddle permanent placement as from the trial I did have at least 50% relief and felt like if it were steady it would be very hopeful.

I was right I loved it-past tense is a long story but I will have it placed back in soon and cannot wait. This is why I say keep on trying I feel like I am so lucky to have the option for SCS & although I didn't do much repeat programming with the trial I needed several with the permanent.

The one time I called the programmer during the trial was the day after it was placed as I was getting a nice massage on the front of my legs but otherwise it was useless. I met with him less than 24hrs after the trial and 4/4 of my programs were changed.

Good luck & did they give you any paper tape? Alot of times when patients are allergic to adhesives paper tape seems to work well if you don't have any I'm sure they would let some one pick some up for you.

Take Care and enjoy the trial the hardest part is the waiting in between the trial and the permanent:)

P.S.If you have back pain as well there are some brands out there that are designed to cover back/leg.
advertisement