Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long till the numbness subsides? 3 days PO

kitnmomkkitnmom Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am only 3 days Post OP but i am worried because of the lack of feeling in my groin and buttocks. I can't really tell if i need to pee or number 2.
Other than that i feel great not sure how much walking i should be doing but i go up and down the driveway a few times a day. My incision seems good and no dreaded spinal headache the nurses were worried about.

thanks for your help and advice!

• but I have L5 nerve issues and mine is still numb, 5 months post op. Having searched the boards and asked around, seems it can take "a while".

But, yours sounds different. Does your surgeon know? What did they say? They must have given you something to work with?

• no they didn't seem worried because of all the scraping he did, I am just concerned because of the bathroom issues

thanks for posting
  • Not sure but could it be pain meds. I had similsr sypmtoms I went to hospital and they thought it was because I was on Pain meds. It makes it hard to feel the pressure to make a bowel movement and also bladder. I'd call your surgeon just to make sure.
  • Did you have a catheter? I think that affects things too. I know I've had 'issues' every time I've had to have one. It took concentrated exercises (kegel etc.) to regain not only control but feeling too.

As for the numbness, I'm 7 mo. out and still have all the same numbness I had after surgery.
  • Hi Everyone, I am doing pretty good today with pain and even skipped a pain pill this afternoon. I called the Dr this afternoon and they said that they had to to do something with the nerves during surgery and this is to be expected. I am going to try the kiegles but i think it is more of a feeling thing. I guess we will find out as time goes on. I am also trying to find a happy medium on the walking. Not exhausted not too little

thanks for all the great advice