Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

for those who work office job - need support

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I had a painful sciatica episode 3 months ago complete with nerve damage and unbearable pain in leg/back. 3 month later (now) I can function OK at home (with rest every now and then, PT, and occasional pain pill). I decided not to do a surgery, since NS said that he does not recommend it at this time despite L5 nerve damage (I now have weak big toe, before the toe was not moving at all) since I am slowly but surely improving....He said that there is a change that I will recover on my own.
When this thing happen I was in a process of looking for a job. I managed to come to 3 interview over the last 3 month by using vivodin pills during the interview (and my husband drove me there). I just got an offer from them (in this terrible economy)!I am about to start the job in 2 weeks and I am terrified! First of all, it is 1 hour commute (train 30 min and some 10-15 min walking, my husband said that he will drive me to train station and back - another 10 min). I am not terrified of walking since I can walk a mile on a treadmill wearing gym shoes, but I can not sit for prolong period of time without pain in the lower back. Those of you, who work 8 hour office job - how do you cope? Please give me some encoragment, I need to have this job since this is means insurance for me and money for my family. I was out of work for most portion of last year due to economy and this is my chance...

• I can't give you advice how to cope with an office job since I was let go of mine due to being on disability for so long. It is 1 year this week. I can however, sympathize with your fears at this momment. I too have been interviewing lately and have had 3 jobs offers. I am currently trying to decide between 2 of the 3. I am so scared that I won't be able to do it because of the pain. I still have not recovered from my fusion 7/1/08 and am in constant pain.

I just got my license to sell life, health and accident insurance while I've been out of disability and the 40 hour class I had to take prior to taking the test killed me. I also did this on pain meds. I had to drive over 2 hours away and I stayed in a hotel for the week.

I am so scared to make a commitment to either of the jobs due to pain so I accepted 2 of the offers but told both jobs I would not be able to start for another month or so. I am also dealing with helping my gma get her estate in order as she was just told she has about 8 months to live. She was diagnosed with lung cancer over a year ago and chemo isn't working because she won't stop smoking. That's a whole nother story in it's self.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from neurosurgeon office on when I can get an appt and go from there.

I feel guilty in a way because of the way the economy is and so many people are having trouble finding jobs and I've had 3 land in my lap and I'm scared to try any of them. Other's would kill to have this opportunity.

Sorry to ramble on about myself. My point is, I understand your feelings of being scared, guilty you have the chance to pick between 3 jobs when others are struggling, and worried you won't be able to perform to your abilities due to pain and they will let you go.

Just do your best. Take time to rest as much as you can. Hopefully you can take breaks to stand up and stretch or talk to them about setting up your work station so you can stand and work. I actually had a lady who had this done because of back issues. Employers have to accomadate any physical limitations you have. I know it's hard to even request such a thing being a newby. I will keep you in my prayers and wish you the best of luck. Have you considered an injection for the sciatic pain?
  • Hi Metoo,

If you would see the bag I brought to work to my office -- Do you have a cubicle at your new job or an office with a door? In my attempt to maintain my job (which I will lose shortly), I brought a heating pad, ice pack, all sorts of pain relieving lotions and balms and my tens unit. I also brought a mat which I laid on the floor (shut my office door) and did sciatica exercises every few hours. I spaced my pain meds out and ate a little something with them (crackers with peanut butter or a banana) to help take the "loopy" effect away. Oh, and I also brought two different supports for my chair (a wedge like cushion and a "butt scoop" - they sell it at bed bath and beyond -- that's not the real name but it keeps you sitting erect so that the pressure is off your spine. I also had two pillows in my office to use however I needed to prop up my left leg to a position that didn't hurt so bad. I even brought a scented candle (aromatherapy) in to try to help calm my nerves. I guest at my age (54), I just don't care what other people in the office think -- I smell of methol (LOL) - my goal was to try and keep my job. Anyway, I would take with you to the office anything that you find helps you be the most comfortable and keeps you at your lowest pain levels. Get up and move a lot if you have to sit all the time. Good luck and I hope that it all works out for you -- I understand the need to have a job and insurance.
  • Please keep your support coming. I need it!
    No office for me for the next 3 month - the company is moving to the new office space then. Until then everybody on each other heads - very crouded due to fast growth of department. I am 38 and used to be very fashionable :( Now I will join those ladies to wear gym shoes during commute...Which meds do you take during the day? I have low back pain and ankle/calf/toe pain...I take vicodine now at home but want to use little less 'head killing' if you know what I mean.