Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

For those of you taking Lyrica, need your input

deltaladyddeltalady Posts: 610
Just curious as to how many milligrams of Lyrica your doc has precribed per day for you to achieve nerve pain relief. I am currently on 150 mg and taking 50 mg of tramadol every 4 hours -- not doing much for my leg pain.

I'm told it may take more mg of the Lyrica to get some relief. Thanks for your input.

• I was taking 150mg twice a day. After my ESI wore off we decided the Lyrica was most likely doing nothing to help and I've nearly weaned myself off. I'm currently at 75mg once per day and will discontinue that in the next couple days. I feel no difference except coming off really sucks. My leg pain is the same now as when I was taking the full dose BTW.
  • I take 600mg a day. I did try 300mg but still had pain. So it's 300mg twice a day or 150mg 4x day. I thought I was used to the side effects but feel more spacy today. I went for a walk maybe that's why. I've been hibernating all winter and just do excercise inside. So it was nice to go out twice for 10 minutes. I hope you get the right amount for your pain. I still use MS Contin 30 mg 4xday. I can't handle the foot pain without meds. I also take amitriptyline at night 20 mg. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I used lyrica 200 mg per day last year for fibromialgia and it did nothing for me except that I got lost 2 mi away from home (seriously!it did cloud my brain). After this episode I stopped it over 3 weeks.
  • Just a question: If you have nerve pain, does that mean you have nerve compression, and so does that mean the longer you take Lyrica and delay intervention to release that nerve the more likely you will have permanent damage? Have you even had something like an epidural to help with the disc?
  • I never got lost, but Lyrica sure made me stupid. Inability to concentrate, short term memory issues, forgetting what I was saying halfway through a sentence. Boy I sure hated that stuff. :/
  • i was taking 600mg 3 times a day ..i had to stop due to weight gain and water retention.i gained 3 stone in 4 months!
  • Hi i take 300mg per day, For me the nerve pain before i took lyrica... i'll take the side effects (within reason!) My memory is fuzzy sometimes... nothing like getting lost (OMG, i felt for you when i read that!), For me... even before lyrica, i could walk into the kitchen and forget what i went in there for... now, that happens alot more. I could ask my daughter which friend she's going to go hang out with, and 1 second later, completetly forget what her answer was... she's getting used to me asking again and again. I'm finding "tricks" to help me encode important information, so it hasn't really bothered me, i just have to stay a little more focussed and i write down anything i really don't want to forget!! as for weight gain...i'm ok at the moment on 300 per day; i have a friend who has gradually been brought up to 600 per day for fibro (increase was over a 6 month period). She only put on weight with lyrica when they had her at 600. So for me at the moment, side effects and all, i'm very happy on the lyrica - life before lyrica was excruciatingly painful - the run of the mill pain meds gave me no relief... guess its all a balancing act when it comes to what we can tolerate and what works.
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Hi Jkerner:

I take 1 x75 mg Lyrica every 4-5 hours. I have to even out the dose throughout the 24 hours for nerve pain relief in the legs and calves. I also take Tramadol 300 mg per day, and TY3 for breakthrough pain or if I know I will be quite active. Lyrica enables me to work and have somewhat of normal life lately.
  • I took 150 mg for @ 1 year - never did much of anything for my leg pain, but sure scrambled my brain!
    I'd leave my purse in shopping carts in parking lots, leave the house with a pot on the gas burner (lit!).... I quit taking it before I burned the house down.
    But it must work for some people - I think you need to take it for several weeks before it starts to work.

• I had to stop taking it because it effected my vision. Also trie neurtion and didn't do anything for me. On percocet now, helps some. #rd surgery is due Wed 25th. Sher
  • I had the same problems and I couldn't even drive because I couldn't concentrate long enough to stop & go! I was a guinea pig over the last several yrs due to depression and was treated with a wide variety of head meds. My doc actually was at a loss, running out of med combos to try till he finally diagnosed me as bipolar. None of the drugs even Lithium had near the bad side effects I had with Lyrica!
  • I hated the way I felt on Lyrica. I didn't use it for long. I think I was taking around 300mg. I felt bad cause I almost begged my doctor to let me try it and then I hated it. Now I use tramadol which works ok. For some weird reason though when I take it too late in the day it keeps me up and I get RLS symptoms.I get the same sensations in my arms too. I can't sleep when that happens at all. RLS sucks...lol.
  • Hi!
    For more relief from leg pain you could increase the dosage by 5 gms each.

The information provided by members of Spine-Health should never be considered as formal medical advice. It is recommendations based on member's personal experiences only. This can vary from person to person, so do not take comments as medical rules. Edited by moderator Paulgla