Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all,

Just looking for any good advice before my fusion surgery next Monday Feb. 23, 2009. I'm 28 years old I have DDD in the L4 and L5 also heniated disc in both and lots of problems in my S1.

I'm scared and thankful at the same time. I don't know what to expect of my life after surgery however not having much of a life now.

I think I'm just venting a bit here.

To anyone and everyione how may read this I thank you and I hope that you are having a great pain free day.

Helpless AKA Melissa

advertisement

Comments

• Look forward to another part of the journey. Think of it as a road trip. You start out without really knowing what to expect down the road, around the bend or in the next town. Sometimes it's predictable, many times it's not. They may have the best apple pie and coffee, or the coffee may suck. The journey and the willingness to make the journey is what life is all about. Being a risk taker, being willing to risk change.

Hang in there,

"C"
  • Hi Melissa,

I had L4/L5 fusion years ago... so happy to share a bit of my experience. Also, btw, i have my cervical op next week, i go in the same day as you... so good luck to you on yours!

As for recovery from L4/L5...They'll want you to get out of bbed and move... walk... its tough! But the more walking the better, so just keep at it! It honestly gets a little a bit easier to get up everytime, and you'll be walking the hhalls in no time. I had help around the house for about a mmonth after the op. I remember moving slowly, but i was moving. My pre-op pain was gone btw, but certainly post op pain from the surgical sites was present. Muscle spasms sometimes too. If my memory is correct, i was off regularly scheduled pain meds at about 3 weeks... but i still needed meds about once a day or so until about 8 weeks (maybe twice a day ;) ) My recovery was exactly what i'd been advised, and i was able to go back to work at 3 months post op. I remember it was a TOUGH week when i went back - but thats because i went back to a major conference that i'd been organizing from home... not exactly stepping in at the shallow end when i went back!! But the following week, which was a normal week... i was ok. tired, adjusted my seating/standing as i rebuilt up my work related muscles, but it was ok. That op gave me my life back... i was able to be me, be a mom, work the way i like to work... i minded my back +++ after... i never weeded the garden!! never did the chores that required extensive back breaking work - DELEGATION :D is the key to life!! But i played sports, went horseback riding, paragliding, climbed rocks!! once i felt ready!! i'd say i got physically out there.. about 2 years after the op. And the last advice.... KEEP WALKING!

Hope that helps, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the recovery.

GOOD LUCK >:D<
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Good Luck. I am 8 weeks out from 2 level fusion. My surgeon told me what to expect and he was pretty much right on. I try to walk as much as pssible, but I had a friend that had fusion 3 months before me. My Dr told me not to take notes with each other becuz everyone does it different in thier own time line. I read here where people are back to work in 6 weeks. Not the case with me. I had 2 1/2 years of pain before surgery and it was 2 years before they even found out the cause. So don't compare to others. Do what your Dr says. And you will do fine. I was on and still am alot of pain meds., that to varies with everyone. Keep you chin up and try to smile and take it easy. Measure your progress from Dr visit to Dr visit. Others will see your progress more than you will. But it give you your life back, thats what keeps me going. Good Luck and I will be watching for your progress notes.