Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion Surgery tomorrow, Feb 18

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a two level fusion tomorrow at L-4, L-5 & L-5. S-1. I am getting very nervous. I have been taking pain meds (10mg / 3 daily) for about 6 months and am concerned about post-operative pain after reading some posts here. I do believe I have some tolerance so I am concerned about post-op pain...should I be? Has anyone had the same procedure who has taken similar amounts of percocet?

• ...will likely be different after surgery. Also in the hospital they will have you on stronger meds (morphine, dilaudid etc) immediately post op, so once you ease off that, you should be okay. They will help you find meds / a combo of meds to keep your pain under control.

I had so much anxiety the day before surgery. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat, its been so worth it! Focus on the new beginning that awaits you, with hopefully less pain and more mobility. You will do fine :)))

• Hi

I didn't have a two level either but i was soooooooo afraid before i even knew when the surgery was to take place. :''( Thank goodness i am the type of person that when i know something painful needs to happen to me i will jump right in there and "just do it" and get it all behind me and move on from there. Staying positive no matter what happens helps so much. I keep thinking to myself, " i can do this, i can do this, i can do this................ :)

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • I had problems with my pain both in the recovery room and during my the hospital stay...open your mouth if they don't juice you up enough. I didn't because I was too worried about not being able to go home early if I "was a problem patient who had trouble controlling my pain"...I would NOT do it the same way again. But I was on narcotics for about 9 years, the last year morphine and oxycodone...and my Ns chose morphine for the pain pump. I imagine my tolerance was a lot higher which contributed to my control problems. But, you'll do fine and be home before you know it! Keep us posted
  • for the kind words. I am less than 12 hours away and have no idea how I am going to get to sleep tonight with this anxiety!
  • Hi there,

Just wanted to wish you luck for your op tomorrow! You mentioned worrying about sleep... Try deep breathing (in through your nose, and out through your mouth), clear your mind and focus on something peaceful. When i do this, i imagine a floating white feather, it really can help you relax and maybe.... sleep I)

Good luck and let us know how you get on with the op....
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Have a question for the board...Post-op I was given dilaudid (sp) and it worked unbelieveably. If fact, they had doctors orders to give me at least twice as much if needed. Anyway, the entire day until 7pm (9 hours after surgery completed) I took nothing else for pain. Finally, the pain surfaced and i pressed the morphine pump to control it...nothing. they uppped the dosage, increased the continual flow and still nothing. The pain was unbearable. then, they gave my valium because the pain was coming from the back muscles that were separated during surgery (spasming). It really worked well but the would only give it to me every 12 hours because they were concerned about the combination of both drugs.

I told the nurses to take away the pump and just give me the valium (or greatly reduce it), but they said the morphine was giving me the pain relief even though the doctor said valium might be the answer to stop the muscles spasming!!!

Anyway, I do not know what my question is, but why in the world to they feel compelled to change medications when they are working? The dilaudid was clearly working perfectly. The Morphine Pump was doing almost nothing, and the valium helped immensely. So, what do they do?...Cut out the dilaudid, reduce valium, and increase morphine!!! I sanely pleaded with them but they would have none of it.

Anyone else have similar experiences with morphine? Why are they hesitant to use dilaudid instead of morphine?
  • Is what I was on post op because of the narcotics on was on pre surgery. It is very powerful pain medicine and that is why they try to get you off it as soon as they can. That is why they switched you to morphine. They want you to be able to take normal pain meds for 24 hours before you go home. So that is why they do that. I am sure they were following orders by your Dr.. Morphine doesnt work for me because I am on oxycodone and fentyl patches.
  • They do all kinds of crazy things with meds in hospital and don't always listen to patient. I suffered greatly for two days post-surgery and they waited to tell me I could get a "rescue" injection of extra Dilaudid. I wanted to throttle them. I said, "But I kept asking for more pain control, I was suffering," and the nurse said, "But you didn't request a rescue injection." Well I didn't KNOW about the code word of "rescue injection," that was set up!!!!
    How are you doing now lastory boy, are you home? Less pain meds?
  • and doing OK. However, I am being setback by muscle spasms in my calf (very painful). I have already seen two doctors and will be seeing another tomorrow. So far, none know why the calf is swollen and causing pain...the mri confirmed inflamation, but did not shed any light on the source of the problem.

They assured me I am not in danger but they would like to monitor the calf to make sure things don't get worse...i should mention they already did an ultrasound to confirm it was not a blood clot.