Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having surgery and had to take Lortab pill

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Pain Medications
I am having surgery on 02/26/09. The surgery information provided to me stated I should not take aspirin or ibuprofen 10 days prior to surgery. I was prescribed Lortab for pain from my family physician and had to take one 8 days prior to my surgery. Apparently, Lortab consists of aspirin which I was not aware of. Will I be okay to continue with the surgery on 02/26 since the Lortab taken was 8 days prior to surgery and not 10? Thanks for the help.

• Does your prescription say Lortab or Lortab ASA?
  • Depends on your Lortab. Mine are actually hydrocodone 10/325 and the 10 is Hydrocodone, the 325 is Acetomeniphin.
    If that is what you are taking you have not really compromised your aspirin or no blood thinners thing.
    But, and this is a big but, When I was unable to stop taking my pain meds before my surgery January 08 I payed a big price after the surgery. It makes it difficult for them to control your pain after surgery if you don't take a break.
    I advise you to call and talk to your doctor and discuss your options at this point. You may be fine. I would do everything in my power to stay off the pain meds until your surgery from now on. I know it can be a miserable time. I would do it to not experience what I did after my last surgery.
  • Like Wrambler said, I'm pretty sure Lortab is hydrocodone and acetomenephen (Tylenol) which doesn't have the same blood thinner affected as aspirin. I guess I'd call your doc to be sure the lortab is OK. I, too was told to stop taking any NSAIDS (including my lortab) a week prior to surgery. The reason they gave me was because they were going to be giving me steroids during surgery and wanted the the other stuff out of my system before that. The first 12 hours after surgery, I was given IV morphine, but then switched right back to lortabs the next day.

That week before surgery really sucked because I had been taking LOTS of ibuprofen and lortabs. I was also out of town at a veterinary conference that whole week and couldn't even get any relief with my chiropractor's decompression therapy. Sitting in those seminars all day was miserable. All of my neck and shoulder pain and arm numbness that I had been able to control with meds and decompression came back. The only thing left in my "pain arsenal" was tramadol, and I started popping those like M&M's! I guess the only good thing about that week is that it really confirmed that I did need surgery.