Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c5-c6 c6-c7

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a fusion of c6-c7 in 2001 2 MRIs since have shown c6_c7 were not compromised and had no problems but c5-c6 were now blown and needing a fusion. After visiting the neuro surgeon he did x rays and they showed c6-c7 did not fuse at all. He wants to redo them and c5-c6 also with my own bone. The first surgery was done with a donor bone. Can anyone tell me if they had it done with their own bone did it take a lot longer to recover and was there a lot more pain. The other alternative was to do an ant and post fusion. I noted someone in another section stated this post procedure was very painful. I only have til April 2nd to return to work and my surgery is in 2 days. I don't know which to choose could someone enlighten me cause I am really confused and have very little time to decide.

• Welcome to spine-health. I have used my own bone twice and while yes it was a bit painful from the donor site I was up walking about four hours after surgery. I choose my bone as my surgeon said fusion would be quicker with my bone. So I elected that on my own knowing there would be extra pain. My goal was to get back to work faster. Typical my understanding is the gold standard for fixing a non-fusion is to use your bone. The way i understand it is if you didn't take to donor bone on the first go round you more than likely won't again. Also you have a higher rate of fusion with your bone. So my personal experience says to use your bone. Good luck on surgery and I hope all goes well. Keep us posted and welcome to spine-health.
  • Donor bone and my own bone was used with my fusion and yes where they harvest the bone from your hip is somewhat painful but I was told it is better to use your own bone. As for the posterior approach it is very painful or at least for me it was. I had the anterior and posterior and the posterior took a lot longer to heal and was much more painful than the anterior.

• so after they did use your own bone how long was it before you were able to get back to normal/work.
  • even after fixing it a second time you are still having pain?
  • Yes I am still in pain and will always been in some amount of pain. I had extensive work done on my neck and have narrowing and bone spurs at other levels. With 12 screws, 2 rods and 2 plates in my neck my surgeon explained to me that there would always be pain. My neck is stable, that is the good thing. Also nerve damage causes my arm pain. Last spring my left shoulder started hurting and it was determined that is was coming from my neck. So much goes hand in hand with neck problems.