Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pilates Exercises and low back pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
My last physical therapist told me to look into Pilates. I must say that the last therapist was a big disappointment - they made it clear that they liked a challange and that my case was challanging but after 12 weeks basically said you are on your own we cannot help you any further. The doctor has said that they will not refer me to any more physical therapists because the ones that I've seen are very good - I've seen 7 in the last 1 1/2 years. Yet they say there is nothing that can be done surgically.

How does one find a Pilates instructor that is willing to work with someone who is in constant pain? Is it a good idea to try to do Pilates while you are in pain? I feel that a regular class would just be too much? Is there something that would be better to try first? Would you try a book or DVD?

• IMHO when you have low back pain, don't go it alone with a book or DVD. A knowledgeable instructor can coach you one-on-one and modify the exercises to help you not hurt you.

Pilates was also recommended by my surgeon post-op. It can be tough and discouraging because it requires a lot of balance, but that is also the plus. It will help you learn to use the right muscles and help you re-learn balance.

Yoga is also excellent and probably the best would be a pilates/yoga combination.

Good Luck!
  • I purchased a series of Pilates DVD's, I also purchased the exercise bands(set of 3 different tensions and they were dirt cheap), I also purchased a Pilates mat to go along with it. The series that I had purchased had different levels. I started out with the beginer/easy DVD, then over time I would change to a more challenging one. I looked into a Pilates class here in my town and they were pretty darn cheap HOWEVER, the 3 different places that I went to, the instructors would NOT "help" me. They did NOT want to be responsible for ANYTHING that might increase my pain or my condition.
    I had a L5-S1 fusion back in 2001, I felt great for about a year and now the pain has come back 10 fold. I have severe nerve damage, my fusion is fully fused but there are issues with it, so I am having a Radio Frequency Nerve Ablasion done next week, then back to the Ortho for another surgery. He is actually going to go through my back this time and put in another plate since my fusion was done through the front. No guarentee's that it will take away my pain, but I want to try and see if it will. Anyway, The pilates has helped quite a bit, but be sure to SLOWLY get into it. Dont start out with an hour routine or anything like that. And when you feel/think that you have do a decent exercise and are to a point where you think that you might be pushing it STOP and then pick it up again in a couple days.

If you think that you might want to do the class instead or do the class to get a feel for it before doing it on your own, be sure to call a head of time and set up a meeting with the instructor. Explain your condition in detail. Like I said, the instructors in my town and the towns surrounding, wouldn't let me join because of my condition.
    Good luck and keep us posted!!! MJ

This discussion has been closed.