Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post op fusion, discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone!

I've been cruising this board for some time and have found great information here. My surgeon has been far from helpful and most of my information has come from this board....so thank you!

I especially found the list of items after surgery very helpful!

I'm 37 and have had problems since '97 when I fell as a waitress.

My arm pain has been so much better since surgery. I also have had facial numbness that I was told DID NOT come from the neck issues, but it is getting better since surgery. I also had foot drop on the right...and it is gone as well. Another symptom not attributed to the neck. I am convinced that maybe they don't know EVERYTHING after all!

I'm in a soft collar and am pretty uncomfortable. The collar makes me feel pretty incapable of doing anything. I am going a little stir crazy at this point. My body is getting sore from laying around!

When will the lump in my throat go away? I've lost 10 pounds because I can't enjoy eating too much. I guess that is one way to diet!

My surgeon is supposedly the best...but his bedside manner is lacking. He treats my husband and I like morons. It's pretty frustrating. I won't see him for another 2 weeks.

In any case, thanks to this board and all that contribute.

So, just two questions:

1. When will the lump in my throat go away?
2. Incision is hard underneath and feels a little raised underneath...anyone know why?

oops..forgot to add....this is a 4/5 cervical fusion with titanium cage and discectomy and general rotorootering of my neck!

• Hi,

We are about at the same point. I had ACD with fusion of C5-6 and C6-7 on 2/5 with grafts and a single plate.

I was only told to wear the soft collar for a week, and even then not all the time. In fact the surgeon said I could move my neck completely - it was not the surgery but the person who was in control. I am just not supposed to hyperextend (look up) much. But the collar just may be because your fusion was higher. The swallowing and incision sound pretty much like me. I am also still hoarse, which you may or may not have had. they said 3 to 5 weeks was common for the swallowing and voice.

I only lost 5 pounds :) but I'm not really complaining. I just had the surgical tape off yesterday and the scar is still raised and hard like you describe and tender. Like it is still a bit swollen under the skin. I think that is normal.

I believe a rapport with the doctor and staff is critical. I had "one of the best" surgeons at first and just didn't feel he was communicating with me at all. I felt similar to you it sounds. So I got a new doctor who did the surgery. It may be worth in the future, should you have other problems, to find a new one.