Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

changing to Duragesic patch??

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Pain Medications
My last visit with my PM went well as always. He is very nice and understanding. I explained the pain Im still in and my limitations. Basically I cant do much of anything. He said its office policy that he doesn't prescribe anything over 40 mg Oxycontin ( which I am on). I'm also on vicodin 10mg for BT ( due to the OxiIR shortage). He did offer the Fentenyl patch. I am seriously considering it. Im guessing this would replace the oxycontin. Im concerned about the price and the pain control. Can anyone give feedback on the patch?

• i heard another patient say it was $1000 for a box of 30 and they were a pretty high strenth. but not positive. some one else on here probably nows for sure. due u have ins?
  • I'd love to meet the doctor that would prescribe a box of 30 and survive the inevitable DEA inquiry on that prescription. :))(

I don't have insurance. I pay out of pocket and use a free prescription discount card.

100mcg patches, 15 per month = $403.37
  • only thing that has kept me from being interested in the patch is the fact that we have a pool and in the summer, I am wet a lot. Getting wet is a real issue and one that isn't suited to someone who sweats a lot, has a pool, etc. I know there is a much better explanation and hopefully someone else will offer it.

Good luck,

• My insurance paperwork says generic 50mcg was $530 for a 10 patches, while brand name is $1060 for the same.

With insurance I could get a 90 day supply of the generic for a $15 copay, there is no way I could have afforded the prescription without my insurance,lol. I took it every 2 days as well, but I still ended up with 45 patches every 90 days for $15.

I would have to agree with cherish22, I had problems using this med, especially during the summer. If I kept it on my shoulder the sun hit it and I got to much, on my upper chest it made horrible blisters, on my belly I always managed to get to much as well(I would rest my arm on it or my waist band would cause me to sweat and it would heat up), other parts of the body it would fall of and need to be taped back on. I didnt have the problem with to much medication at once with the generic, but the generic didnt stick as well for me. It did give me good lasting pain relief, with the need for minimum breakthru meds.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• I'm in the pool 3 days a week, doing water aerobics and lap swimming for 2-3 hours at a time and haven't had any problems with my patch. I think it actually helps, because the chlorinated water strips so many of the natural oils from the skin. Lemons out of lemonade and all that... :))(
  • I do have insurance and I called my pharmacy to ask about the proce. I was a bit confused. She said it would be $10.00 co pay for 5 of them. Im gonna try them because my meds now are not enough. I know Ive been complaining about them alot but I couldnt even get thru taking my kids to Mc Donaalds tonight. I could hardly walk out of the place and I took it very easy all day. I cant live like this. I cant do anything. My Dr tells me to accept it but I cannot. I cried all night. My kids are gonna miss out because Mommy cant take them anywhere. Im so pissed off right now.
  • That's great to know! You're the first person I've heard that doesn't have issues with water/pool/patch, but good info.

• and with insurance it was 304.00 for 10 patches. That was with a 50 dollar coupon because Duragesic is not a generic. My dr wont allow generic because he doesnt think they work as well. My 75 mg were 400.00. I had some trouble with them coming off, but the company has a telephone number on web site that you can call and if you meet the quidelines for properly wearing them they will send you clear adhesive patches to put over them. They will do this for free. They better cause they are like 3.00 a piece if you have to buy them. They are called biogesic patches. The patches work well but I still take oxycodone for break thru. They also make me very sleepy the day after I put them on. But they are better than Oxycotin as that made me tired and sleepy 24/7.If you are going to use them, ask your pharmacist for instructions. You cant use them with electric blankets or mattress pads or heating pads. They are very dangerous around little kids if they would touch an open one. That said, check with your Dr or pharmacist like I said for warnings. They have helped me with pain. But havnt taken it all away.
  • I've had very good relief from the Mylan brand, poor relief from the Sandoz (but good hallucinations). Mine is a Worker's Comp, so I can't comment on the price. They don't take all the pain away, but kind of 'disconnect' me from it. It's still there, it's just no pain any more. If you can swing it, give it a try. Read the info with the patches.

Good Luck

"experience is what you get when you don't get what you want".
  • I have my PM appointment on the 10th and will be switching to the pain patch. My husband will be out of town until thursday so I was going to hold off putting it on until he gets home. Im very nervous about side effects. Can anyone tell me side effects they experienced when first using fentayl?
  • hypoventilation-esp. in elderly and debilitated persons
    Nausea, vomiting, constipation, dry mouth,sweating, headache, urinary frequency, drowsiness. These are the most common side effects, but there is a detailed list in the patient pamphlet inside the box. It will take some time to acclimate to this medicine and the side effects will diminish eventually. The ones that persist with me are sweating, and urinary frequency.
  • Meydey, those side effects are so true and not just in the elderly as I am 46 yrs old. I thought I had already posted in here but I don't see it now. My PM doctor put me on the 50 mcg patch and I ended up in the hospital for 3 days because of the severe side effects. It was absolutely awful. I can't say that it is a bad drug because it did relieve my pain but my body couldn't handle the side effects. My only suggestion is to start on a low dose and increase as needed and tolerated. I wish you all great relief and the best of luck.

• Oh it sounds lovely! Im already getting the sweats ( change of life). Oh the things us spines have to do to live a semi- normal life. Im still willing to give it a try. I have to for my family. Thanks guys.
  • I don't have any side effects from the fentanyl alone, but I do notice more of a combination effect with my BT meds. I usually only take 1 hydrocodone 10/500 a day, about an hour before I'm ready to get up and move in the morning to recover from the sleep stiffs/pain. If I end up taking more BT meds during the day because I'm busier or doing more strenuous activity than usual, I get sweaty a lot easier and usually end up a bit constipated.
  • My PM just put me on those Wednesday. I put the first one on this morning & still waiting for the pain relief. No side effects yet for me. Hope I don't as EVERYTHING else does give me side effects.

Good luck & hope we can all become PAINFREE someday.

Norm :)
  • stinger66, please keep us informed how you are feeling with the new med. I hope it works for you.
  • What dosage did he start you on? Be careful becuz I noticed that 24 hours after I apply them I get awfully sleepy. To the point of nodding off while on computer and waking up with my hand still on mouse. So make sure you know how they will affect you. I have been on them for months, and they seem to work well, but I still take break through meds. Good Luck, and watch those side effects and be careful.
  • Ive been on Fentanyl since Tuesday 11:00am. I feel GREAT! No side effects and I haven't felt this good in years!
  • for the update
    I'm so very siked for you!! WOW it makes me want to try it. My PM & I have been talking about it so we'll see.

have a great day
  • So far so good. Things I am noticing: I sleep like a champ the first day I put it on. I am also very groggy. Second day I get great relief. No side effects at all. Third day, Im in pain again. I have heard that most PM Dr actually change ya to every 48 hours instead of every 72. This is by far the best med Ive taken so far. It also sticks very well. I haven't had any issues with it falling off.
  • I have been on the patches for problems other than back issues (i came across this site while looking for information about a temporary shortage)for 3 years and it has literally saved my life. I use the Sandoz brand (or Watson--both are the gel rather than the stupid Mylan Matrix system) and have never had any problems once I found the right place to put them. I do have breakthrough pain once a month (endometriosis and migraine) but am not having daily pain and am not in agony when I do have breakthrough. I use the fentanyl lozenges for breakthrough pain. I use the 100 and change them every 2 days. I am never drugged or groggy feeling while on them (except when taking the lozenges for breakthrough, of course). My insurance pays for them so I am only paying $15 per month (for 15). I have never had any problems with heat effecting it, even when working out. I wear mine on my upper arm and don't usually have that bare in direct sun because I am so pale. What brand are you guys using?
  • It really is great...it gets rid of the up and down feeling when on fast acting narcotics
  • I've been on the patch since 3/27/09. I was first on 12.5 but there was NO relief. Then on 4/2 PM dr told me to double the patches. That worked alot better for the first 2 days. The 3rd day is sheer hell.

I started on the Mylan patch. I just switched to the Watson patch 25 on 4/14. Wow, what a difference!! These are way better then the Mylan.

I put them on my upper arm. I haven't had any problems with side effects. I live in Las Vegas and it was 95 degrees today and the sweating had no effect either. I have already been in the pool 3 times this week without anything happening to the patch.

I am not sure I would have been as lucky with the Mylan though. They are so flimsy and don't stick as well to begin with.

Only problem I have had with both of them, they don't last the 3 days.

I am worried about the eventual withdrawal though.

Newsflash - I am looking for a new PM dr due to some information a fellow participant on this site directed me to. This site has been so incredible and I have only been a member for just over a month!

Thanks to everyone for responding and sending thier support.

• A lot of people do 2 day instead of 3 for any number of reasons. When I was on 3 I was getting very sick the afternoon of the 3rd day so my doc switched me to every 2 day. I probably go through mine quick because I get hot flashes (at age 31!) due to my hormones being messed with. Even with that I never fell any sort of flood of medicine or anything when i get a hot flash. In fact the very best thing I can say about the medicine is that I can't feel it at all!

Yea, the Mylan are garbage. My doc tells all his patients not to get those. As for withdrawl, have you been told that you will eventually be taken off of it? Hopefully that will never be an issue for you.