Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain In Opposite Side

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi All,

I have large central herniation at l5/s1 and it is left paracentral...here's the catch...most of my symptoms are on the right side. Has any one heard of this? I have some left sided radicular pain and sciatica but, not nearly as bad as it is on the right side.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

• I'm sorry I should also have let everyone know that I started having bladder retention symptoms and saddle anesthesia on Wed...went to my NS yesterday and he's still perplexed by the right sided pain. I told him about the urine retention and poof he called a urologist and I had the magic foley cath about an hour later. I go for a myelogram on Monday.

Thanks for any input on the lefty/right thing.
  • on mri i have nerve encroachment on right side but heavy duty sciatic pain all through left butock and left leg, must be something not showing. i do get mild numbness on right side, upper leg. good luck with your problem.,
  • I have right side herniated disc with anular tear and all my sciatica is on oppososite leg and foot. Neuro said something about cross radicular symptoms opposite side. If you hear more about it let me know. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hey Tom -

What you described about your lower back pain is very similar to what my mother is going through. She has an L5 S1 herniated disc which should be producing pain on her left side according to the MRI, but instead, she is in agony down her right leg - cannot bend over, hurts to stand, sit, walk (pretty much hurts all the time), has lost right foot reflexes.

At the moment we are seeing a doctor at the Emory Spinal Center in Atlanta, Georgia. She has already had one epidural shot for the pain which was unsuccessful and will undergo a second one in a week. She is also scheduled for an EMG test. During the EMG test they will also probably do a NCV test (for nerve function...because they do not know why she is not having pain on the left side vs. the right side). If that test is unsuccessful, they said they would be doing a CT Myelogram.

Have you received any treatment for your back? If so what has helped? Has it been fixed? Any information you have would be great...I feel as if the doctors are running blind almost.