Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
pain mgt dr stated waddells positive for L4/L5 criteria.what does that mean i never heard of it. oh bye the way im new here.ive read alot here but never posted. thanks!

• Welcome to Spine-Health, glad you have joined our community. I am not to familiar with what Waddels is, and how it correlates to the back. I am familiar with lumbar pain though and Im sorry to hear that you are having pain. We have a great group of people here and Im sure more people will know more about your diagnosis and have more input. Just wanted to welcome you Spine Health and know you are not alone in your road to recovery and pain management.
  • :H In an effort to figure out my own condition I have ran across this several times. Google Waddell's syndrome. I think wikipedia has the best layman's description of it.It didn't really explain my condition at all but I hope this helps you.
  • Thanks ill try that.and thanks for the welcome!
  • Waddells -

I don't want to upset you, but to test postive when you are in pain can be a very frustrating experience:

Basically to test postive on 3 or more of the 5 tests means the dr.'s think you are 'faking' it - or at the very least you are overly sensitive and 'jumping' at percieved pain vs. real pain.

In other words: They think your pain is pyschological vs. organic - organic meaning from a compressed disc or nerve as in something physical.

From my perspective; I can see any one of us getting jumpy over the thought of someone trying to induce pain - heck, we are in loads of pain all the time - who wouldn't get jumpy?

The best thing you can do before seeing the dr. is to really self talk yourself into ONLY responding to the very worst pain. Be EXTREMELY truthful on every question. Don't overstate anything.

I don't quite understand what "waddells positive for L4/L5 criteria" means exactly - it doesn't state if there are other disc levels that do not test positive or how many of the 5 tests were positive. I would look closely at the report and if, your case warrants it, ask an attorney (it's where I got my information).

• Well I wasn't going to go into that kind of detail but since saltzworks did I think I want to say something here. I had an Orthopaedic Surgeon who did my first fusion. When I went back to complain of shoulder pain he did an EMG test which came back ok and then told me to go see a counsellor. I declined and instead went looking for a doctor who specialized in shoulders because I KNOW my pain is real. No amount of counselling was going to fix my shoulder. The doctor that I went to was unable to help me but referred me to another Spine Surgeon who he believed can help me. As it turns out I do have a REAL problem. I still have an unstable spine and am now just waiting on the doctor to call me to setup a date for surgery. My point here being don't let the word of one doctor discourage you. Your pain is real and you need a doctor who really listens.
  • I believe Saltzworks and Tonya made excellent points and were spot on on how to handle this. I have a strong feeling that you were just having a case of "white coat anxiety" mixed together with pain to describe how things went during examination. Maybe the doctor read into things a little too much. All you need to remember is that your pain IS real and half the battle is getting the doctor to believe you.
  • I read your posts and had to join the group to respond. To find others who KNOW what I am going through helps! Since losing my job (of 25 years) recently, I confess that if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all (remind you of an old show song?), I can still say 2 key words ... HAVE FAITH. With perseverance you will find that awesome doctor who helps you and doesn't think you are nuts.

I was in a freak accident 20 years ago this month. I have gone through 19 years searching for someone who can help me. January 2009 I finally found him. In our first meeting, he actually apologized for the medical community failing me these past 19 years. But he hasn't failed me since we met and has even developed a plan of action. Nobody has ever done that, just stick another dozen needles in my spine. He figured out more in the few months I have seen him than ANY other physician. He is also the strongest patient advocate I have ever met. For those physicians (and some friends and family) who suggested I needed to see a shrink about my "so-called pain issues", the shrink even stated the pain issues are not in my head and I need a doctor to do what they spent years learning to do.

DO NOT give up on yourself or finding your perfect advocate! Sorry to make this so preachy. It is frustrating to hear someone else went through the same stuff. But I will tell you, my family and friends are singing a much nicer tune and bending over backwards to help me.

Bless all of you,
  • I am not that familiar with Waddell's but if your doctor doesn't believe you, find another! I went through 10 years of doctors thinking my pain was all in my head. Turns out I have 2 herniated discs! I get furious when I think of how many doctors didn't listen to me and how many years I just got worse and worse. Look for a new doctor, don't waste your time with those that don't believe you.
  • i had a dr years ago when he move my leg said it shoudn't hurt that bad.but i did tensed up.(felt like kicken is face and say it shouldn't hurt that bad)i have had 4 back surgerys and one neck since then.now dr wants to do a 4 level.i have seen alot of drs and it seems like half of them are just plain goofy...keep looking you'll fine a good dr out there.