Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member with cervical issues.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all. I just found these boards and I am looking forward to getting some information here. I am going back to the surgeon today after a round of PT, an ESI, and a round of oral steroids. I have had no relief from the headaches, numbness and shooting pains down my arms after any of this.
My MRI shows the following to be the major issues.

At C5-6, there is posterior disc bulging with a left paracentral disc herniation exhibiting rostral extension and producing cord impingernent and canal narrowing, There appears to be roughly 4 mm of rostrat extension of this disc herniation. Left-sided foraminal stenosis is produced.

At C6-7, there is canal stenosis produced by posterior disc bulging and a moderate-sized right paracentral disc herniation, Cord impingement is produced. There is bilateral foraminal stenosis.

There are smaller issues at C3-4 and 4-5.

Hopefully I find out something today.

• I hope you are seeing a neurosurgeon. IN MY OPINION ONLY, you have structual issues that are causing nerve compression. The above mentioned conservative measures you have tried, won't be of use until the structures are repaired to relieve the pressure on your nerves. I would hope that surgery is mentioned, as the longer this is allowed to go on, the more likely for permanent nerve damage. Please let us know what your doctor recommends. Good luck.
  • When I saw him the first time he offered to go ahead and schedule the surgery or try a round of all the meds to see if it helped. While I have had 7 knee surgeries and 4 shoulder operations, I am a little afraid of neck surgery. Part of me hopes he says operate and ASAP. I will update later.
  • Considering your history of so many surgeries, I can understand your reluctance to undergo another one. From thee results of your MRI, I would have to agree with MaggieP that conservative issues will not be sufficient. The compression of the spinal cord and the other structural changes (stenosis) indicate that surgery is needed. Hopefully you are being seen by a skilled neurosurgeon who can outline the expected outcomes.
    I am six days postop anterior cervical discectomy and fusion C4-C7 and I am recovering with minimal problems. The pain in my neck, shoulder and arm along with the tingling and numbness was practically gone within 1 1/2 to 2 hrs after surgery. I have some residual shoulder discomfort primarily due to the positioning on the OR table, but it is well managed with muscle relaxants.
    Best wishes and keep posting the status of your treatment!
  • I too understand your reluctance to have yet another surgery. But this particular surgery when your body cooperates and the doctor is a good one usually can interrupt your life for only a short time. Probably much shorter than for 7 knee surgeries!