Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 month check up.....anybody have input on hips>

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good news....after 9 months I am pretty well fused. He said that bone growth would continue for up to 1 1/2 yrs. but I am pretty solid. BTW, his opinion on taking MOtrin is as follows: as bone cells are beginning to form, Motrin and NSAIDS are to be avoided. However, after bone has formed, the motrin will not affect the rest of the growth (around 6 mths.) Just his opinion.

Here's my BIG question...anybody having problem hips. I have been walking 2 miles a day since the 2nd month. My hips are getting worse. He said it is common in fusion patients and gave me a cortisone shot in each hip which isn't doing much. I am seeing PT, stretching, ice cupping, keeping my shoulders back when I walk.
1) what have you found for relief
2) Do you keep walking?
3) Any particular stretches/exercises help more than others.

• I have right hip pain. I take no pain meds. Last week I took a 600 mile driving trip. I had to stop every 20 minutes and walk around the car. In the movies I sit in the back row so I can stand every now and then. The Dr suggested Lidocaine patches which did nothing. I see him next month and I am going to ask him to evaluate my hip socket....maybe an MRI.

Yesterday morning I got up and no pain. I walked behind my brush mower all morning and still no pain.

Maybe I had bursitis....I don't know.

Good Luck with yours.

• I was going to ask if you have had x-rays of your hips, or other imaging of the hips, or if you are assuming there is a problem due to the location of your pain? So often, with the lower lumbar problems such as you have had, pain refers to the hip area.

Sometimes when you've been in pain for a period of time, the body learns to compensate, which can result in the overuse of other muscles/soft tissues. It can pull your body out of alignment and cause new stress on other joints...such as the hips. When the piriformis muscles and ligaments tense up, it can feel like a problem in the hip, for example.

If you walk with your feet turning out, or have pronation, it can cause a "torque" that can throw your body out of alignment, causing some tilting of the pelvis and rotation of the hips. If you aren't getting any relief from the injections, you might want to try a physical therapist or someone who specializes in body work that could work with you to see whether your body mechanics might be causing some of the pain.

Once you have fusion, posture becomes even more important. Good body mechanics can make a big diference when part of your body is no longer flexible.
  • motorator, I hope your pain is gone for good. I am assuming that you haven't slowed and rested? It almost seems that when I stop doing something, I somehow lose it long term. Did the trip make it any better or worse? I am debating taking a 4 hr. trip but don't wnat to make things worse. If you broke even then I just may give it a whirl and lose the cabin fever! Keep me posted on how it goes.

I always sit with a lumbar cushion. I am not toeing in or out as near as PT and I can tell. I have tried to pay very close attention that shoulders are back, butt is tucked, abs are pulled in but then I am so focused on that, I can't walk well and seem to get other muscles torked-not to mention that I almost fall over. lol I am pretty poker straight as far as I can tell.
    Any suggestions welcome...
  • As you know, we seem to have similar pain areas. My most recent adventure in dealing with this has been to try acupuncture. I have had two sessions and the hip pain seems to be diminished. Haven't been for a long walk yet to see for sure as the weather has not been cooperative but I am keeping my fingers crossed!

We'll keep trying!
  • funny you should say this; I was just speaking with a neighbor who had accupuncture for his hip and back. I am not ready for them to put needles near my back but am willing to try the hip. There is an M.D. who is an accupuncturist near here. Keep me posted on your experience k?
  • I just went for a walk and though my hip feels a bit tight it does not hurt! Maybe the acupuncture is helping! The acupuncturist also did "cupping" - I had never had that before but it felt wonderful.

It would be interesting to know if others here have been helped with acupuncture for pain following fusion surgery.
  • I've had acupuncture off and on for about 5 years. I find it very relaxing but I don't feel it did much for my sciatic pain.

That's terrific if it is helping you. It usually takes a number of treatments before you notice much difference, so hopefully you will have a very positive outcome from it.
  • I wonder if anyone has found that rotation of the innominates (and thus the pelvis) has been a problem - and what they have done about it?
  • My physical therapist is having me do hip abductor exercises to strengthen the muscles that are used for gait control. He says that just watching people walk in the mall he can tell if they are going to have back problems by the way they walk.

ie: if you sway (think a sexy hip-dipping walk) you are likely to have back problems.

Makes me wonder about hip problems coming from compensating for your back - something to think about.
  • Well, my hips DID sway until this hip thing - now the muscles are too tight to sway!

The new PT I saw last week says my eternal hip rotators are VERY tight and other muscles are not strong enough. Thus, a variety of pains. He gave me a few simple exercises to stretch the external rotators, psoas and piriformis and strengthen the abs, etc. (I do hate those ab exercises! Always have - that is probably one reason they are weak!) He says it will take months to really get better. But in the meantime, acupuncture has really helped!