Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Doc said "the pain does't matter"

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Thank you for your replies. I been tested for arthritis and do not have it. Its not genetic, there is no family history.I have no explaination of how this came on? Two Dr's told me they believe it is from my job duties as a nursing assitant, and it would be hard to prove.So basicly I'm screwed for the rest of my life!None of theses Dr's will put in writing that the spinal stenosis was caused by my job.

I am no longer at my job,it's now been a year. My Dr said that my stenosis wasn't bad. In my report it said that it was moderate. I never went back to work after my RF procedure in May and continued to have pain all summer long.I finally had releif in November last yr. I seen the Doc,in Jan, and thats when he told me the stenosis wasn't that bad. "Hell if it isn't" I suffered chronic pain all yr last yr and still having different issues,like my lower back. Oh,but the "pain dosn't matter"!!! That's what he told me!!

I don't know how I'm going to handle a job,and find one that paid as much as my last one. I am still having problems and it's my back. I think its realated somehow.

I had a mri done a week ago and will find out the results soon. I had my blood work done to rule out arthritis,limes,thyroid,etc. So what is causing my leg pain?
I also searched for a different Doc,so maybe he can help me more than my current doc.

Any sugestions will help. I need to prove that my injury is realated to my job! My employer should be held accountable!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    Proving that work related conditions lead to some of your medical problems. I dont know the size of the hospital or medical center you were working at, but many large companies have legal staffs that can eat up that stuff. They can come up with a thousands reasons why the company was not to blame and that this , that and this were the causes. It may not be fair but in some situations, its the plain truth.

On the good side, there are companies that understand that their have a morale obligation to their employee's and will work with these scenarios. Still, getting the bottom line through is not easy. Insurance companies do not like to pay out for job related injuries or worse medical conditions.

Employees in Unions have a much better chance in getting this done.

The most difficult task is 'proving' how your job environment created this problem. Then identifying how/when you went to your employer with this problem, what did they do if anything. Then what did you do to correct the situation. What did you do on your own time that could have lead to this situation. These are just examples of questions and rationale that could be used.

I wish you the best in getting what you need.

Spinal Stenosis when it becomes more severe and the spinal column narrows further, the discomfort and pain will increase. Many times there is something more than stenosis that is going on.

There are two kinds of Stenosis:
    Primary - which occurred at birth and is very uncommon
    Acquired - which most people have and get later on in life.
    In some regards its similar to Degenerative
    Disc Disease, which is the aging of your spine.

Other factors that can lead to stenosis are:
    - Herniated Discs
    - Ligament problems
    - Injury
    - Spinal Tumor

In most cases surgery is not required and there are the normal set of conservative treatments:
    - Physical Therapy
    - NSAIDS
    - Pain medication
    - Rest
    - Back Brace
    - Chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine (Finally a study that shows the value of that combination !!!)

The surgery is Spinal Decompression, but lets hope your situation is not that far progressed.

Good luck.
    And you know what, it doesnt matter if they say it shouldnt hurt. You know how it hurts and how much. Medically, a doctor may believe that through diagnostic tests, a condition should not be causing that much pain. Some times that is a borderline tightrope that is being walked.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm sorry to hear that. My Dr. said it is repeatative movements as a nurse constantly bending, pulling, pushing, lifting that can lead to degeneration, bone spurs and herniated discs. It doesn't particularily happen at a one time incident. I hope you find a good Dr. that'll help you out. The 2 that said it was from your job and if they put it in writing for you you have a better case. I worked in Florida for two months at a hospital in West Palm and the Nurses didn't want a union. It's hard for me to understand how needed they are especially as they had tried to boot me off my job instead of taking into account of my seniority. The Union was there for me then as well as now since I've been ill. The Manager was actually calling me at home wondering why I couldn't come in. They're not allowed to intimidate or do that. I hope you have a case and get some retribution. Anyways,I'm on lyrica and amitripyline for nerve pain in my leg, Have you seen a pain management Dr? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • i cant imagine what that would be like to have a dr. tell you your pain didnt matter. isnt that what dr.,s are there for to help with your pains and problems? if pain didnt matter then there would be no need for dr.,s at all. and they would have no job. i think it time to find new dr.