Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 6 mo post-MicroD, new pain

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All, it's been awhile since I've been here, and I wish everyone the best! I'm 6 months post-MicroD on March 5, and I'm having some new pain. I haven't lifted anything heavier than 8-10 pounds, and I've been careful never to bend over without doing the "golfers lean" where you kick one of your legs up behind you so you bend at the waist instead of the hips.

About a month or so ago, I noticed that if I stood up from a seated position on a couch, or sat down too fast, that a split-second sharp pain would shoot through my lower back right around the L5-S1 that was operated on. It didn't always happen, and when it did, it was so fast that it was more of a nuisance than anything.

Periodically since the surgery, I had lower back aches I attributed to stress. It feels like a general ache in the whole lower back, and only happens after I sit in a "bad chair" for too long (which I avoid), or sit for over an hour or so without getting up, combined with emotional stress.

I've noticed in the past two weeks that that lower back pain is more common than before. It's not above a level 3 or 4, but it's still there. I have been under an abnormal amount of stress, so maybe that is it? It doesn't hurt if I lie completely still, but the general ache does seem to be there even at a level 1 or 2.

Is this normal? Have you all had this happen? Should I be concerned about it enough to call my NS? By the way, my numbness in my right foot is still there as before, not as noticable at times, but still there. The doctor said it was hard to predict when that would totally go away after surgery. No new numbness, though, and no pain in my hips (my right hip and leg/foot was the primary pain noticed when I herniated my disk last summer). In other words, it doesn't seem to be affecting the sciatic nerve. Could it be just stress?

Thanks for your opinions -- I know it's not medical advice. I just appreciate real world experiences.

• I had a micro-disectomy in January 2008 because of sciatica since June 2007, after the surgery I still had alot of leg pain and a new numbness in my foot, the doctors all said that I had to be patient because the nerves are very stubborn and take a while to heal - after 4 months I was not noticing any more improvement but still had pain and numbness, my doctor said I should be patient and give it more time. Finally in June he sent me to a Neurologist who ordered an MRI and found out the the disc was re-herniated and pushing on the nerve again.
    I just had a spinal fusion on January 15 - I still have leg pain (not as bad) and a different type of numbness but I wish that I had been more insistent on getting it checked out sooner, I feel like I have wasted another year.
    Good Luck.
  • The same thing happened to me. A month later after the micro-D my symptoms worsened and I was sent in for a post op MRI and found out I reherniated the same level and the nerve was being compressed. Two post op ESI's didn't help either. Months later I went on to have a 2 level fusion. Always notify your doctor about any increasing pain and worsening symptoms.
  • Thanks for your information. I was always told that if you re-herniated, you KNEW it. I'm not having any pain in my hips, legs, or new pain or new numbness in my foot. I was so hoping this was all stress related, especially since the pain doesn't get above a level 4 on a scale of 1-10. Did you have more intense pain that this?