Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trouble Sitting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had L5/S1 fusion done on January 15 - I am having more trouble sitting now than I did before the surgery - is this normal?

• It happened to me too and it still hurt to sit down. My fusion was 2 levels (L4-S1) and I had so much trouble with nerve pain that I was put on anti inflammatories early in the recovery and my valium was doubled to 10 mg's. Now, 9 months later I'm not any better at all and the back pain is chronic and the nerve damage is permanent. It is still early for you but you do need to notify your doctor about any problem like this. I hope things get better for you.
  • I had an L4 L5 fusion and sitting for long periods is painful for me and it's worst if the chair is wood or metal, sometimes real firm cushions are painful to sit on as well. It was explained to me that since i have a fusion that the vertabrates ?? above and below the ones being fused will have to do their work and that i may need more surgery in the future and that it will cause pain. So the S1 does hurt bepending on what on and how i sit.

Sorry for being long winded!! :<

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • post op? My Dr limited my sitting to just while eating or bathroom for the first 8 weeks. Now I have 1 hour without getting up and walking. Sitting puts stress on fusion.
  • I know exactly what you are talking about. You might want to call your Dr. and ask him how long he recommends you to sit at a time. My Dr. told me 15-20 minutes to begin with and only for BR and eating. Even now, my surgery was Oct.2008, my Dr. wants me to walk as much as possible but limit sitting to short periods.Each Dr. has different ideas and we all heal at our own speed. Also, have you try any lumbar pillows to sit on? They make them to support your back and to sit on. A friend bought me one to sit on but I'm short so it doesn't work exactly the way it should but it is better than nothing! Take one day at a time.
    Good luck!
  • Interestingly enough I can sit all I want but not lye down. Dr. never told me anything on sitting limits, just be a couch potato the first week which I did.

But I can locked up/stiff if I lye down. Thus I sleep sitting up lol.
  • definitely....I would feel like my tailbone was being shoved up my spine when I was sitting. Then I made a fatal error and went out to breakfast with a friend. I didn't watch the time, sat for too long and ohhhhhh weeeeee I was hurtin' for a long time. So take heed and only sit for limited times.
  • I made that same mistake in the begining and paid for it. :''( I still feel that the surgery helped so much and i do not regret it! I am 62 and i have Osteoporsis? so my discomfort is different then a younger persons. I suspect that surgery closer to the tailbone will hurt more then the one higher up.

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • yes. Until about six weeks, it was just awful sitting more than a few minutes. Did get better though, slowly. Everything gets better... slowly.
    I switch chairs from a standard to one of those that is called a "kneeling chair" that changes your position so pressure more on knees and not spine. It is great. You can find a variety on this site: www.officechairstation.com
  • I don't have an answer for you but feel for you. I hope you find comfort!!! Maybe get up every hour & walk around for 15 mins. {just a suggestion}.

My concern is, I been sleeping in a cushy recliner for about 6+ months, am hoping & praying I can get back into my big comfy bed sometime after surgery.

Jakotsu, did you sleep sitting up before your surgery?? I can't sleep laying down, if I do I have the worst time trying to get out of bed. Takes time & effort as my spine feels like it's locked up at my hip/lower back area. weird!

Good luck to you & call your doc. as others have suggested.

Good Luck,
  • Tracy Lynn

I feel your pain

I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you on my recovery and I am just now starting to be able to tolerate sitting upright for more than 15 minutes at a time.
  • I had a two level L4 to S1 and sitting is still a challenge for me. There are some chairs that I do better in than others. I have found ones that recline or the adirondak (?) thats on my front porch allow me to sit for longer periods. Chairs that are wooden, or sit straight up put a lot of stress more on my back than my tail bone. Mine seems to feel like its "pulling" in my mid back when I sit to long. Sometimes I have to put my hand between my back and the chair Im sitting in, that seems to relieve it fairly instantly. Maybe I need a lumbar support to help with the natural curve of the lower back. I went from only being able to sit for about five minutes to about fourty five minutes now and its been about three months. So it is gradually getting better. As some on here, I was also on a sitting restriction till week eight, and Im still supposed to get up between fourty five minutes to an hour and walk or stand for five to ten minutes to take pressure off.
    OHHHH how I miss being able to sit and just have idle chit chat over dinner!!! I hope this gets better for all us Lumbars. Good luck in recovery, best wishes