Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

please comment

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My husband has a history of neck compression due to Motor vehicle accident that happened 2 years back.He says he has a pain from Grade 5-6 in his neck all the time.
I felt that he has been constatly sleeping and had hot flushes for one hour during night .We got his blood tests done he was diagnosed with Graves disease .I am trying to find out could motor vehicle a cause for percipitating it? Is he sleeping excessivley due to pain medications which he is taking for his neck?If loss of libido in him is due to pain medications or due to graves disease?
Wht i felt he would get back form work anf after havin dinner he would go for sleep right away.Or if he is awake he would be constantly sitting at one place watching T.V or playing a game on line and whn goes to bed he will go to deep sleep rigth away.
I am just confused about the whole situation.Please comment.

• Graves disease is related to his thyroid and does have an affect on his ability to stay awake etc. It is not related to the issues in his neck. Has he had a treating physician address his thyroid condition? Taking pain medication will alter his mental state and affect his libido as well. Just from the little info you have provided, it sounds like he may also be experiencing some clinical depression. All told, it is a difficult situation to observe and not know how to handle. You need to question his doctors about his medical condition and try and get some assistance in addressing his mental status.

• Hi there, sounds like there are 2 conditions at play - graves disease and his neck. The symptoms associated with each and the medictations are obviously affecting him - but it may not be clinical depression. Sleeping alot is a sign of depression BUT, in your husbands case it could be attributed to either of his other conditions and therefore is not in and of itself indicative of depression. His limited activities and reduced libido also have other explanations... so don't throw depression into the mix unless you or he (or a doc) feels this is the case. Understandably, coping with these types of conditions can bring on a comorbid depression, but not in all cases. We can't diagnose online... so it would be best to do a bit of research about graves, side effects of meds your hubby is on, and prepare your questions for his treating physician.

Best of luck!
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • I am presently in remission from Graves Disease, but I can tell you while it is happening and not diagnosed, the symptoms are aweful. The hyperness to a crash, the heat palpatations, the crazy thinking, loss of weight, ringing in the ear, dizzienss, and body functions are all off!

Once i began the necessary meds, it didn't take long for alot of these symptoms to lessen. Hopefully this will be true for your husband.

Only a doctor could explain if there is any connection. But I do remember the need for sleep and I ached all over - but I had changed jobs from accounting to being a gardener - and blamed all my symtoms on this dramactic change of work environment. But at the time of diagnosis for me I also had mono - a double whammy on the system.

Good luck to you and your husband, hang in there - and I also remember - feeling very sorry for my behaviour after the medicine began to help me. Lack of sleep and the rest of the symptoms can make you pretty crazy and irritable. But at the time while the thyroid was off - I really couldn't help myself. It gave me a SMALL glimpse into the world of mental illness - it gave me some new respect for those who suffer.
  • Thank you all for writing .
    He is on methimazole form last 3 years but inspite of that he continues to have hot flashes particularly around 10 p.m in the night .On some days he would wake up in the night and would complain of dryness all over his body.I help him to put vaseline all over his body that helps a bit but he continues to have thm inspite of medication .
    Wht could be reason of hot flashes and dryness?
    The neurosurgeon told him to go for neck surgery as well.He is around 34.What would be the prognosis of neck surgery?

I am hoping that things will get better with time but i am worried abt outcomes of surgery too.
    I want to find out how shld his prblms be approached?
    If you any comments abt this situation please write back.
  • Is he having his T levels checked - after being on the medication, i began to dip below normal, versus the way above - so they discontinued the med - but regualarly i have my t blood tested, to make certain I am not coming out of remission.

I hope the doc is aware of his night time symptoms. could it be an effect from any of the meds he is taking. Has he spoken to his Endriconologist?

I hope all goes well, it can be a trying time. I have not had any neck surgery, so I am unable to be helpful with that.

• He has two separate issues. Graves disease is an autoimmune thyroid disease. I have neck issues as well but I was diagnosised with Hashimoto's. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune thyroid disease as well but it leaves you hypothyroid.

My biggest problem has been decifering what is causing my symptoms is it my neck or my thyroid.

• Thanks again for writing.As far asH/O hot flashes are he says he is having thm since he was a kid.But 2 years back we went to see an endocrinologist .We told him abt his H/O of hot flashes and dryness but nothing was diagnosed at that time.Its after 2 years graves was diagnosed but he continues to have same symptons inspite of being on medication.His blood levels are normal.
    cindee how r u feeling after ACDF is it feeling better thn before as he has been advised surgery too .I dont know which kind?but he says he wont go for surgery as once u get your spine operated u get into more trouble.Is he thinking ? on the right track or not?He says he would continue to bear the pain and wont go for surgery until it becomes mandatory?
    Please comment.

• Spam content edited for forum violation.

Edited by Cindy