Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks Post OP Wicked Muscle Spazams.

kitnmomkkitnmom Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good evening to my favorite advisors! I am 2 weeks post op and the last few days i am having trouble moving when laying down, walking, getting out of bed is awful. my whole right side and low back, cramps up.

I called the doc and they called in a new muscle relaxer and it is much better now but is this a normal thing after surgery? I wish i had some warning but the Doc never said anything

thanks for you input

• With all the manipulation of your spine and surrounding muscles, those muscle spasms can become very difficult to handle. They will ease over time, but do take the muscle relaxants on a scheduled basis to prevent the pain from getting out of hand. As you increase your activity, the muscles will adjust (just make sure to use body mechanics and stay within the restrictions the doctor has given you.)
  • thanks for the reassurance!
  • Muscle spasms are 90 percent of my ongoing issues. Very common. Do massage or alternative treatments, hot showers, etc. Everything helps.
  • oh yeah, those muscles spasms are a jolt but they will ease up over time. My OS prescribed Valium and it really does help them. I had them so horribly in the hospital that the bed shook!
  • Michelle -

The good news and the bad news is that the muscle spasms seem to be quite common to fusion recovery. Like Carol, I had better success with Valium than any other meds. Very warm showers also helped a lot.

• Get some valium and some zanaflex for night. I thought valium was pretty standard for back injuries, especially surgeries???? Anyway, you need it bad. Those spasms are the worst. I feel for you.
  • again i thank you all

I had been given Sulfamethoxazole/tr 800 as a muscle relaxer and Endoset 7.5 for pain right out of the hospital.

when i called the other day about the horrible pain they gave me a scrip for carisoprodol 350mg and still taking the endoset.

i am taking them and the spasams are much better but boy are my muscles sore!

I will try some of the alternatives you have suggested!

thanks again
  • I'm not a lumbar patient but I still feel a need to give you a word of warning. Clear any sort of manipulation such as massage with your surgeon before hand. There may be reasons why he may not want you doing it so early in your recovery, especially in light of your complications. If you get the all clear then go for it! I know that after my cervical surgeries that massage was the only thing that brought my spasms under control...and I'd rather do that than take another drug anyway.

All the best to you and good healing!