Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

acdf c5/6 6/7

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just had acdf on c5/6 6/7 with titanium plate and screws. I know it is just a couple days post surgery but I still have a lot of pain in back of neck and shoulders and upper back. It is so hard to find a comfortable position to lay down in. The doc didn't give any suggestions except to just sit in a hard kitchen chair. I have the elevated pillow, and a neck roll pillow, both not comfortable, its so frustrating because I cannot find a way to sleep that does not hurt or that I am not afraid will not hurt the surgery.
Also, does anyone know if it is alright to put ice packs on the back of my neck and on my shoulders and back or would that affect the healing of the surgery? I have been putting ice packs on my incision because i was told that was ok, but was not given a lot of advice besides that. I could sure use any suggestions that anyone else out there found helpful in feeling better in the days and week or even weeks after surgery. Just not feeling so good now, guess I was hoping for that miracle feeling of waking up from surgery to no pain at all. Thanks for any tips
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,614
    You need a rigid collar like an Aspen ... and a regimen of muscle relaxants and pain killers ... You didn't mention any of those post surgical modalities. What your status with these common post op therapies?

Rule of thumb is ice for first 24 hours ... then warm moist heat afterwards. Ice (post surgically) would put me on the moon .... Ask your doctor about discontinuing the cold and using warm moist heat.

Give us some more details?

Good luck and good necking ...

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • I agree with Metalneck. I am 11 days postop ACDF C4-C7 and the biggest problem I have encountered is the muscle spasms in my shoulder areas. Moist heat does help and you do need the assistance of muscle relaxants. I did not need a collar, but I can see how that could help support you at this time.
    I slept in a recliner with my head elevated for the first two nights but have been able to sleep in bed with an assortment of pillows without too much difficulty now. Everything takes time, so give yourself a chance to heal.
    Call your doctor and get started on muscle relaxants and take them on a scheduled basis (q8hrs) until you get relief and then you can cut back to q12hrs.
  • I had to wear a collar but still had the exact pain that you are experienceing in the back of my neck and shoulders (and I had never had pain there). The Dr told me it was all normal post surgical pain. The valium helped with the spasms and the percocet also helped. I agree with metalneck moist heat works best I had tried ice it made it worse.

I also did sleep the first couple of nights in a recliner then gave up and went to my bed. After a couple a of sleepless night I found a way with lots of pillows to finally get comfortable. I am sure you will find something that works for you.

I had a 3 level ACDF with hardware.