Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help - How long is pain in neck normal?

diamondeddiamonde Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I'm only 5days post op from C5-C7 ACDF with titanium cages, but this pain in my neck is so persistent i thought I'd ask about it.... My NS said to expect aches and pains, but for how long?? I'm doing my mini PT excercises to turn and stretch for ROM and i don't go past where it hurts... taking my pain meds (tylex - which is like tylenol 3 - and tramadol + difene)... but still it hurts!! can't get comfy... ~X( how long is normal... and when should i be worried?? and any advice on meds??

Thanks so much!
L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD

• It is expected that most post op spine patients will suffer post op pain for on an average 10 days. A fusion is brutal on the body, so it's going to take some time for your body to recover and start to feel better.

Hang in there,

• Diamonde,
    I have to agree with "C", give yourself more time. After my first ACDF I felt great in about a week, just needed some muscle relaxers, but after the second ACDF it took me about 2 weeks to feel better. Perhaps you can try to back off the mini PT things and see where your pain levels go. It may help, when I did too much my neck left me know right away that I was overdoing things. Good luck and I hope things get better soon.

• Hi all,

No worries, definitely planning on giving the healing process more time :) I just needed to understand how long is normal for the pain to be there... so it sounds from what your saying... if its there past 2 weeks, at the level the pain is now... i might want to chat with doc. In the meantime... keep following the doc's advice B)
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • That sounds about right. HOWEVER, if at any time you feel something is not right (that gut level intuition of "oh crap"), don't hesitate to call your doc!