Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am upset & hurting

stinger66sstinger66 Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Pain Medications
I go see pain management doc that I have been seeing for years now & he does not help me. My meds have been managed by my ortho who did my back fusion 9/25/08.

He had me on several pain killers & they were not giving me long relief so he puts me on 10mg methadone 2xdaily on 2/2/09 & tells me I have to see pain management doc for ongoing meds.

I see pm doc last Wednesday & tell him whats going on & that the side effects are too much on meth. He proceeds to ask me what I want & I tell him I get side effects from ANYTHING I take. He mentions many drugs that I have taken in the past & I say no to all of them due to side effects.

He puts me on soma, clonidine, mobic & ups my neurontin from 300mg to 600mg. I start taking them & start getting side effects right away & I am getting no pain relief. I call his office the next day & Friday & tell them its not working. They check with doc & he says thats what he wants me to take.

I have been in terrible pain since Thursday & cannot sleep so I call his office today & leave a message with the answering service to have him call me as I am in terrible pain. I give it an hour & he never calls so I take a percocet.

Now I have to see him next wednesday & wonder what he will do. You have to sign a contract agreeing to take only what he gives you. Well it was either I take a percocet or end up in the ER from the pain. I cannot believe this, I go from taking meth to no pain killer. Can you believe? I thought one of the new drugs he was giving me was a pain killer.

stinger66 (Norm)

• Sorry to hear what you are going through and I completely understand your frustration and anger. I too keep getting the run around from my docs cuz it seems no one wants to be the one responsible for my pain meds. It's even more frustrating when they cut you off from something cold turkey with no game plan or advice on how to deal with the withdrawals. I am wondering if that's why he gave you clonopin cuz that's for anxiety and can help with withdrawals. I beleive soma is a muslce relaxer and mobic is an anti-inflammatory.

I am glad that you turned to this site for help. There are so many people going through similar situations or are here for their loved ones going through this.

I hope you hear back from your pain management doc soon and you can discuss the pain meds and how inaffective they are. There are a lot of different kinds medications and only your health care provider can advise you on what would be the best for you. I am here to offer you support. Please feel free to PM me anytime you have any questions, need advice or just want to chat or vent.

I hope you find pain releif soon.
  • I'm sorry you've been having such a rough time with meds. What kinds of side effects have you had with them and Methadone? I think the doctor backed off from prescribing a pain killer because of all the problems with side effects. Have you ever tried Fentanyl, Oxycontin, or any type of morphine? There must be something out there that you can tolerate. I have seen ads for Ultram CR in magazines to control chronic pain. I hope the doctor figures something out for you at your next appointment. Please be careful about the Percocet because if the PM doctor finds out you will be dismissed. I understand what happened but this is the way things are nowadays and everybody is strict. Hang in there and please let us know how you are. Take care
  • I want to say you sound like you have been through the med circuit and are burned out. :( I know the place.

Some of the psych meds I have been through twice! I really think you may need to think long and hard on what you have taken in the past and see if you can consider any of those as an option? I also know that sometimes the side effects have to be worked through. How long did you take Methadone? I have seen people say its side effects lessen as the body gets used to it. Same with Neurontin and Lyrica.

Do you work on top of this? That has been my worst enemy. Trying to work while wandering around in cloud of side effects. I would advise trying to talk this out with your doctor to see if you can reach a plan that will help you with your pain and so you know where he is intending to go with you

If you get really depressed about all this. Try a nice long rant over in Mind/Body/spirit. We all understand and it can feel good to just put it out there. Uh, sometimes I will right a nice long post and proof read it, spell check it, realize I feel better and delete it without even posting it !

Hope you get some relief!

• I am wondering what kind of side effects are you talking about? With any medication, there are side effects. What matters is if the side effects are so disruptive that you can't function on the med or are they merely annoying? Upset stomach type things? Sleepiness? Most of those type of side effects subside once you have been on the meds for a week or so. In fact, my PM says to give a new med at least a week to try to see if the side effects subside. If not, then he will change them or if they are most of the allergic reaction type, he will change a med right away but for most of the "normal" side effects, he wants to wait a week to see if they go away or minimize any. It sounds like you were only on the methadone for a two week period or so before you told him that the side effects were too much. Methadone typically makes most people very sleepy at times, until you get to a steady blood level and then that seems to subside, but you do have to ride it out for a week or two to get there.
    He may have decided to put you on increased neurontin to help manage the nerve type pain, and the mobic and soma to manage the muscle spasms and inflammation. If the pain meds are causing you so many side effects that you can't deal with them, there aren't alot of options left as far as pain meds go.
  • I am on methadone and get good results. It is very long acting. I had side effects in the beginning but after about 3 weeks they went away. Maybe you need to give it more time. Not all PMs require pain contracts. Mine does not. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Did the percocet help you? I'm thinking it must have helped you if it kept you out of the ER?

If this percocet was yours,leftover from an old script-even though it's against the rules-I wouldn't blame you for taking it...but the Dr might not see it the same way because you two haven't really had time to form a trusting patient/Dr relationship.If you only took the one it may not show up in a UA,but I'm not sure about that.

It's odd that the Dr asked you what you wanted.Surely there must be something that has helped your pain in the past? I know that whenever I first started taking lortab 5/500 they made me vomit,but now I take norco 10/325 and I never get sick anymore.
  • I just read in your signature line that you had foot surgery and was wondering what type of Dr did that operation?

IMO having foot surgery performed by a podiatrist is similar to letting a GP operate on your neck/spine.Both need specail surgeons.A podiatrist is ok for clipping toenails,or treating athletes foot and other less serious ailments,but the scaple should be prohibited from their hands.

I feel justifed in saying this because I had 7 foot operations and the first couple were performed by a podiatrist.He seriously mangled my feet.I was told by an orthopedic surgeon who is very respected in the Pittsburgh area that I should have sued the Dr that "did that to your feet." But..I'm not the sueing kind,or rather,I wasn't.I think I would now if I could go back,but I had no idea how bad it really was.

7 times I went through PT,but the last time lasted months and I had to learn how to walk correctly-so that I didnt cause more damage to skeletal system.I still can't walk on a grade & was advised to never try.I have no metatarsal heads as they have all been removed,so my toes don't 'grasp' when I walk.

Anyway-just letting you know that I get the whole foot thing.
  • The side effects for meth was falling asleep at any time doing any thing. I fell asleep while riding a sit down excersize bike. Also about every 6 days I would be very sick to my stomach. I was on the meth for 3 weeks.

No I am not working at this time. I am still trying to do PT but I am in so much pain that I am lucky to make it once a week.

These are the side effects I get from just about everything I have tried. itching, blurred vision, weakness, dizziness, nausea, headache, insomnia, balance problems, sleepiness & maybe something I am forgetting. My wife says she has never seen anyone like me that will get side effects from anything I take?

The percocet has helped. My PM had me on these for a long time & offered these to me at my last appointment. I told hime no as I itch from them. I will explain to him what I did & why & go from there. If he does not understand that then I do not believe he really cares about my pain. I am no better now after surgery.

I had tarsal tunnel surgery from a Podiatrist after seeing several of them. They ran me through all kinds of tests & procedures.

• Norm, ask about benadryl for the itching if you can get approval to take the Percocet again. The doc may have another idea, but if you only get an itch with no hives or anything you may be able to take something for the itch with the Percocet.

I'd not do this with out talking it over with you doc. Benedryl in the daytime can knock you out too. It is the active ingredient in Tylenol PM type OTC meds.

• I cannot take that at all as it knocks me out for almost two days.

• Was worth an honorable mention...