Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RTA 8/08 still lower back pain can MRI be wrong

no sleepnno sleep Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
i was in a motorbike crash. a guy done a uturn never saw me and we collided i was doing 45kph. i slide up my petroltank my hips get cought on the handel bars and i smack off the side of his car and roll off he drives for a couple of feet and i end up under his car. i was nocked out for a good bit of time not sure how long. spent two weeks in hospital. had CT scan MRI and xrays. lots of bruising and was told i had globalised severe soft tissue injuries. since then i was told i might have a uretal stricture. i was also treated for trigger finger and had cortisone injections. i am taking 2 kapake 4 times a day, 2 100ml zydol sr and tramadol 2x2 per day. im still in lots of pain evan on the high dose of pain killers and get little sleep im sure i have insomnia since the accident. anyway im wondering if anyone has had an MRI and the results were wrong. before the crash i was very active jogging 2/3 times a week and also working as a chef. my life has almost stopped because of this. the pain in my lower back is worse and alot of pain still so long ofter. i am now out of work and obiously not jogging. am i entitelld to a second opinnion or maby somthing might show up on an MRI that they missed.
desperatly seeking answers
yours
nosleep
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Nosleep,

I can’t speak for CT’s, but I’ve had 2 normal MRI’s which were later found to have not shown everything. My first one was for my knee, normal MRI, but when the OS went in… they found 3rd stage degeneration… The other time was for my lower back. I’d been in agony for 3 months. Docs did lots of tests including of course the MRI which was normal (I don’t know if they did a CT or not on me???), Docs were beginning to talk about sending me to a counsellor because they could find no cause for my pain… until they did the disc test where they poke at it, sorry I can’t remember the name of that test at the moment; but if you have a bad disc… it hurts like the dickens (and I’m being polite lol). Anyway… my discs hurt – L4 and L5…. And given I’d not responded to conservative treatments they eventually did a lumbar fusion of one of my gammy discs….

Good luck with your situation and I hope you get some sleep!!
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • I'm sorry you were hurt badly in that accident. What were you told about your MRI? It's true that MRI are not always conclusive at times. Another test that is more sensitive is called a ct/myelogram. It was the gold standard for detecting disc problems until MRI's came along. It is more invasive but it's really good in finding problems missed by MRI's.
  • Hi No Sleep and welcome :H

Sorry to hear you've been having a rough trot. I'd definitely be getting a 2nd opinion and asking for a MRI. When you told us of your injuries, you didn't mention that you had any spinal injuries so in their haste to stabilise you, they mightn't have had a really good look at the scans or not done scans that show up disc problems. It certainly can't hurt to get checked out properly since your still having problems. Hope you find whats causing your pain and can get it fixed soon
  • as far as MRIs being wrong ..i find that hard to believe .but the consultant radiographer's interpretation may be questionable and yes you should seek a second opinion ..after all its your body your pain and your life my friend..bear in mind and remember that no mater what the results are from the MRI prep yourself for the possibility's that the medical world may not be able to get you out of all your pain.
    STRAKER
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.