Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L2 Pedicle substraction osteotomy with posterior fusion L1 - S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am looking to find out if anyone has had the above type of surgery. I would really like to know the out come, recovery period and improvement gained.
I am a 52 year old married Mum of 3 now adult children and carer for my disabled Mum.
I used to lead a very active life.I have a long history of back problems starting with a mild scoliosis as a child since then I have gone on to spondylosis, ddd, laminectomy and fusion surgery.
I had a lumber fusion using Harrington rods in 92 which served me well for about 12 years. Last year I had cervical ADR x 2 plus C4-C7 ACDF from which I have recovered well. I have now developed a 6cm positive sagittal imbalance for which my surgeon recommends a L2 Pedicle substraction osteotomy with posterior fusion L1 - S1.
As all of you with these chronic conditions know it is a daily battle to maintain mobility and achieve pain control.
I am hoping that surgery will at least maintain my present mobility (possibly improve on it although I am aware that the pain is likely to be ever present)At times I get very low and have difficulty coming to terms with my disabilities my main goal is to retain mobility for as long as possible. I would really like to hear from people who have experienced this surgery.

• After two spinal fusion surgeries in 89 and 95 and a long history of back pain, I had this op in March 2011. All previous metalwork was removed. Now 5 months post op, I am back to where I was pre surgery but on half the painkillers. I am told recovery will take 9 - 12 months so there will hopefully be further improvement. Prior to op my spine was bent forwards and also leaning to the right. Now it is straight! It is a dangerous op with many possible complications. My heart stopped during the 10 hr surgery but I live to tell the tale! I have had no other complications. You would only choose to have it if you are really desperate. I am 61, married with 4 adult children. In future I hope to smile and laugh again, swim in the sea and enjoy my grandchildren. I have a positive outlook and a very supportive husband and family. Their loving care helped me through the first 6 weeks post op. You need to weigh the risks and possible advantages. There is no guaranteed outcome. Best of luck! Constant pain drains the energy and spirit.
  • I had this surgery 5 years ago because I was hunched over due to Ankylosing Spondylitis. The immediate post op week was a bit traumatic but after a couple of months I was virtually pain free and much more mobile, and a lot happier. I'm very very grateful to have had this operation.