Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everyone! I have been looking for a good site to post this, and after reviewing everyones comments; There is alot of knowledgable people on here!! lol

I am 27yr old, and have been off of work now since Jan 5. I recently got my mri results back and was hoping someone would be able to translate it into english for me? lol I have another appointment with my family doc but not for another week and am curious what it means.. so here it goes

(word for word)
there is a degenerative disc space narrowing and desiccation at L5,S1, to a lesser extent L3,4 and L4,5. The lLow end of the conus medullaris and spinal cord lies at the L1 vertebral Level. Vertebral heights and lateral alignment are normal. There is straightening of the normal lordosis possible positional or secondary to spasm.

At L4,5 there is concentric diffuse disc bulging, minimal impingement of the anterior thecal sac with minimal stenosis.

At L5,S1 there is a large disc protrusion. This broad-based, centered in the midline but effacing much of the uupper aspect of the nerve root sleeves bilaterally impinging on the exiting S1 nerve roots bilaterally. There is marked central stenosis. The lateral recesses more inferiorly are relatively preserved.

Impression: Large broad-based central disc protrusion. This impinges on both S1 existing and a portion of the traversing nerve roots.....

So thats about it, and honestly doesn't really make any sense to me at all :?? Also, is there anyone else out there with the same problem? thank you for your help >:D<

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i cannot help you with your results, your doctor really is best for that. :-C try and relax and before you know your appointment will be here! :D stay tuned whenever you need us! =D> good luck on your pain journey! :D Jenny :)
  • Thanks Jenny :D It all looks greek to me :))(
  • I'm new here, I found this forum from a friend on a different forum. I say thanks to her.

I have Tarlov Cyst Disease and Fibromylgia, amongest other health problems. The cysts are causing a lot of lower back pain at L1 and L2 that extends down my left leg. Sometimes it is so painful that I can't walk. I have learned through research that there are very few neurosurgeons that will tackle this disease. I have gotten epidural injections in my back last Monday. So far it is helping, I still have a small amount of pain. I just hope it lasts longer than it did the first time I got them. I take Neurotin for the nerve pain and demorol for the other pain.

I also suffer from Fibromylgia.

I hope to make some new friends that understand, thanks,

Cindy :)
  • Oh man the waiting, I hated wating. I feel for you.

I'm no expert, but it looks like to me you have a bulged disc between your l5 and S1 vertabrae. That disc is pushing on your S1 nerve which tends to lead to discomfort in the back and sometimes down the leg. Sciatica.

You'll have to talk to your dr about the treatments.

• I am a newbie here as well. in 2006 an MRI was done on my back and they found what they called a small Tarlov Cyst at S2 measuring 1cm.

Now March/2009 another MRI was done because of increased pain. The 1cm on S2 is now 1.75cm and another has developed at S3 and is a 1.20cm.

My pain is unbelievable on most days. I see a neurosurgeon on March 19th to see what he says.

There is very little I can do because of the pain. Sitting,standing ,and walking make it worse. I can not clean my home nor travel to see family out of state. I have bowel and urinary incontinence.

I am praying for relief. Thank you for listening..

Good luck to you all.

aka: (virtual angel)
  • Donna, i want to welcome you to the forum as well!! =D> i am so sorry to hear of your problems. :''( you must be so worried having bathroom problems!! i hope you find a solution soon.. there is no need to wait!! :D the best of luck on your doctor's appointment!! =D> Jenny :)
  • Welcome, unfortunately you are here. that means that you are having some pain somewhere. Come here often & vent when you need to. There are many good people here who are always ready to lend an ear & help however they can.

God bless, Norm