Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anybody have Leg Spasms at night? 10 weeks after TLIF fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had L4-S1 TLIF fusion 10 weeks ago to correct stage 2 Spondylolisthesis.

Most nights, I am awakened by spasms(?) in the back of both legs. It's not cramping, but it feels better when I straighten out the legs. Seems to be worse after more daytime activity.

At my 5 week appt., doc said not to walk much. Are my legs just lacking exercise or is there some nerve inflammation issue?

I see the doc next week, but if you have any experince with this symptom, please respond. Thanks.

• the same stage only I had a 2 level PLIF Dec 11. I have spasms quite often and take vallium for them. How is your pain level? Everyone heals differnetly but I just have had so much for so long, it gets depressing.
  • I remember having leg spasms too - when I called my NS's office I was told that 'motion is the lotion' and to make sure I was walking. Seems strange your doc would have you not walk -but then everyone IS different.

You are still early days so I do have faith that it's a temporary thing and will work it's way out.

If you think about it I guess it really makes sense that nerves are a little touchy and kind of react negatively when they get messed with during surgery - AND they take so darn long to heal.
  • I'm not in much pain. Back of legs are sore after a few spasm/cramping episodes. Some left leg sciatica, left foot mild pain. 10mg. Norco - codeine every 4-5 hrs.
  • At my 5 week appt., I told my doc that I was hurting after walking 1/3 mile a few days. He had me on steroids for 6 days and told me to just rest and not push it -- just walk a bit around the house.

I'm afraid that I will delay my recovery by further aggravating the nerves with exercise, but also feel like I can't just lay in bed. If I could know the nerves are healing I might be more patient.

• I am surprised you are told not to walk.
    To help with cramping -- do stretches of the leg that are okay. For instance, while laying on back, lift one leg and gently stretch. FLEX your foot so the calves stretch. It might be helpful if you use a towel or belt to help lift the leg (as your back may not be ready for lifting, although I was after just a few days).
    Also, you can flex and rotate ankles with leg straight.
    Getting your blood flowing and keeping your muscles stretched will be a Godsend.