Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Big people / Bad outcome?

backman38bbackman38 Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've noticed, most people with better outcomes seem to be for smaller people. Is this true? What if a large person is in shape, not adipose endowed? Is there a difference? And does size matter with fusion outcomes?

Interesting questions?

• Being "husky" might have some issues with recovery, but I think the success of the surgery is pretty much dependent on the skill of the surgeon and the ability to remove all of the things that are contributing to the compression of the nerves. If lumbar surgery is involved, weight can escalate the degree of degeneration -- but so can being older, type of activity done in the past and many other factors.
    The variables are too wide to make any statistical premise.
    Just have positive outlook and do the best you can within the limitations prescribed by the doctor. Don't try and do too much and let your body heal.
    Hope you do well ---
  • It depends on overall health status and age overall.

I am 6ft 360lbs and did VERY well with my surgery and advancing on all my goals in physical therapy right now.

Too many factors. I am also proportioned correctly vs. someone that gained weight fast.

But I can say in my case I've done better then prob 90% of lumbar fusions do.
  • I appreciated your feedback Jakotsu. I had a microdisc,lominotonomy, and microforaminonomy. My back muscles still get tight and I get some leg pain while standing. When I try to pick up some of my activities, it doesn't happen. I just think that level squishes while standing and I can't stand it. I'm 6'3" and 280-90 and want to be better. Is that too much to ask?

• Can't say I have those issues. My height was a big issue with sitting in chairs as most are low.

I had trouble eating dinner tonight at a mexican restaurant as the chair was small and back was curved, and with my fusion I can't just bend forward lol.

The only time I feel my weight on my back is when I lay flat and get up, wow it hurts. But thats another issue not sure whats causing it. I sleep in a chair (not a recliner) sitting straightup at night.
  • Most women aren't 6' tall and I weigh more than I should. I had my 360 fusion and ADR 4 months ago and I am pain free using no pain meds. I flew through PT and actually went home the next morning after surgery. I am so happy I did this even though I am overweight, I did extremely well. Time will tell but I do agree the surgeons skill is the greatest factor. I also had a vascular surgeon who is a trauma doctor so that was good. My entire surgery was just over 2 hours! I feel so blessed to have had such good care and a great outcome. Keep positive thoughts and Best Wishes