Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bulging and Herniated Discs

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone, :??

I am a 31 year old female, and was in a car accident about four years ago and now I have four bulging discs and a herniated disc. I have had every single treatment out there imaginable and nothing has helped. I was sent to a surgon and he was going to do the disc fusion surgery however when he sent me in to get a discogram, they could not recreate the pain. The surgon then said he would send me to a pain management clinic, which seems to be another way of saying deal with the pain. I was wondering if there are any other options I may be able to try, or if it would be a bad idea to go against the surgon and have the surgery done anyways? I am having a pretty rough time dealing with the reality of all of this, and I just want my life back again. I used to be so active, and now it is hard to do the most basic things. I hope someone has some advice and can help with this issue. Would surgery be a big mistake ? It seems like the only option now. I would greatly appreciate it so much for any advice!! Thank You!!

• I can totally understand your frustration.

Have you had an ESI's done? Or Radio Frequency Ablation? You said that you have "had every single treatment out there imaginable." I think we need a bit more information..like your pain symptoms and current meds that you are on.

• You will find some really great friends here who will help you through it all.
    Here is my fovorite saying to anyone here in dout about a particular issue."Go with you gut. It's usually the one that's right." Oh,and definitely get another opinion.
  • Please include more information. What type of pain do you have now and where is it located? If you have pain running down your leg, does it go into the foot? Is it worse than whatever pain you have in your back? Is it a cervical issue or or the herniated discs in the lumbar area?

Welcome to the board. You will find a wonderful, helpful group of people who will try to help you in any way they can.

But for now, a little more information, please.
  • first, there is no perfect or single answer, so you are not "going against the surgeon" if you find another route. give yourself a break, talk to some more people, get other doctor's opinions, try everything promising, and maybe surgery if it lines up right for your life and issues. but it's not perfect either. I've been through surgery and a pain management clinic (after surgery), and both have played a part in getting me where I am today, though they're not the perfect answer for every situation. So while I'm not doing 1/2 marathons anymore, and may not see another mogul run in this life, heck, my knees feel good, and I'm the most flexible I've ever been. The life I have now is different, but I'm healthy and working, and my scar isn't even that bad anymore. so keep posting and reading. you will get there.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    Your post was a bit vague. In order for someone here to re pond directly to your situation, we need more information
    Please let us know:
    - Have you had any previous spinal surgeries
    - What have been the treatments you have be under
    - What does your doctor(s) say as your action plan
    - What medications are you currently using
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com